IR Filters - do you need them?

Name
Mo
Edit My Images
No
I have been reading about IR pollution and how it is much more apparent as you use 6 stop ND filters and above. I also know that some camera manufacturers incorporate IR filters (Sony and others?)

my questions are:
1) Does the Fuji X-T4 have this filter built in?
2) If not is this IR pollution issue pronounced enough for me to need to get an IR filter?
3) If yes then I recently invested in the 85mm Formatt Hitech starter kit so do you recommend sticking with them for the Firecrest UV IR Cut?

I saw on another thread that UV filters aren’t really necessary beyond their role as expensive lens protection which I understand and agree with but I think the IR issue is a real one from my research, feel free to correct my understanding if not.

Thanks!

By my understanding every camera has an IR filter over the sensor.

Otherwise you wouldn't have to have a camera IR converted.

I've never found the need to have an IR cut filter n a normal camera.

However on my IR converted camera it cut's through haze like it wasn't there.

My main concern is that I saw articles describing situations where black starts turning to red as you use higher stop filters due to IR pollution and the only way to stop that is using the aforementioned IR filter.

Example article:

Most consumer cameras have some form of IR attenuation built into the sensor (hot mirror) covering in the front of the sensir, this reduces the sensitivity of the camera in the IR - that’s why if you want to shoot handheld in the IR you get the filter removed.

Your X-T4 will be fine for long exposure images of video work with a 6 stop filter, and I have often used up to 16 stops on Fuji cameras with no IR effects.

You are more likely to get overall colour cast effects with NDs especially cheap dense ones ie a cheap 10 stopper. The Firecrest, Firecrest Ultra and Onyx filters from Formatt Hitech are fine, but their original resin filters have a pronounced blue colour cast.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. It is now much clearer for me.

I will avoid resin and stick to glass ND filters should I need to buy anymore in the future and good to know the IR filter might not be necessary in my case.

Back