Beginner Is a nifty fifty really better than a kit lens?

I am going to stick my neck out here, OP hasn;t been on since Sunday since posting. A single post to wind up the natives? I don't believe anyone can just go out and buy a 50mm lens being led to believe it's the answer to everything.

I am going to stick my neck out here, OP hasn;t been on since Sunday since posting. A single post to wind up the natives? I don't believe anyone can just go out and buy a 50mm lens being led to believe it's the answer to everything.
You may or may not be right, but does it matter? It's a valid question, and the answers may help others in the future.

It's a valid question, and the answers may help others in the future.
...plus: it gives us roughneck plebians with our tiny sensors and enormous zoom ranges the chance to wind up the puritan prime lens patricians something chronic! :naughty: :coat:

...plus: it gives us roughneck plebians with our tiny sensors and enormous zoom ranges the chance to wind up the puritan prime lens patricians something chronic! :naughty: :coat:
You won’t see this cos you’re thin skinned. ;)
But why would the photographers be wound up by your asinine ‘opinions’? :asshat:

You won’t see this cos you’re thin skinned. ;)
Not thin skinned, just too old to bother with people who think only their opinions matter. :tumbleweed:

No you can’t.
That phrase shows a great misunderstanding of focal length.

If you move closer to your subject, the background becomes relatively further away
If you move further away from your subject the background becomes relatively closer to it.

What different focal lengths allow us to do is frame the subject how we choose, but that includes altering the subjects relationship to the surroundings. (In a smaller way, also the detail of the subject too)

Put simply… Focal length doesn’t alter perspective, subject distance does.
Turning this around a bit. Using a single focal length can teach you about perspective. Which in turn can teach you the importance of where you stand - side to side as well as forwards and backwards.

Photography, like painting and drawing, is pretty much all about looking and seeing.

This is a forum run primarily for enthusiast photographers, about photography. The op has bought a 'proper' camera and lens because, presumably he wants to take better pictures, therefore isn't part of the 1 million. So yes, we ARE trying to help from their end of the telescope, particularly with the position he's in now. Taking swipes at prime lens users after impossible perfection doesn't help. We also don't know why he was advised to get a 50 or even what camera he's using, and it isn't helpful to just write off this advice.

Let's encourage them to learn the craft and perhaps develop in the art, rather than serve them badly with prejudices.

This is probably the best reply I've seen on any forum.

This is probably the best reply I've seen on any forum.
On the other hand, what about the wishes and opinions of the other 1,000,000, who may have a very different view about what photography is for?

There are many more types of "enthusiast photographers" than the photo club type and while those who are part of that tiny group are entitled to hold their opinions, so are the far greater majority who see photography in a different light.

( Oops! sorry about the pun :LOL: )

I think that maybe I'll start another thread to talk about this later.

I do wonder if the op did in fact start this expecting this outcome, and knows all about nifty fifties. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back