Beginner Is a Sigma AF lens compatible with a Canon 1200D?

Edit My Images
No
I have some old lenses for a Canon described as for Canon AF. I haven't used my old SLR for years, but I,m now thinking about buying a digital SLR. The canon 1200D seems a good low budget SLR, but I ideally would like one that is compatible with these old lenses i have.. Does anyone know if the canon 1200D would fit the bill?

Many thanks., Sorcha

Canon changed the lens mount around the end of the 1980's, the SLRs used an FD mount, the DSLRs use EF mount on full frame and EF-S on crop bodies (the 1200D is a crop body). I suspect that if your SLR is very old then it uses the FD mount so those lenses will not fit on the 1200D.

wasnt FD manual focus though ? - so if they are canon AF they are probably EF mount designed to go on an old EOS SLR

However even if its an Eos system and the lenses will physically fit, many very old sigma lenses need to be rechipped to work with DSLRs - if you've owned the lenses from new sigma might do this for free - if you havent it costs about 50quid depending on what the lens is

to be honest though you won't get the best out of a new DSLR by using it with old lenses anyway - you'd be better off buying a couple of zooms to go with your new toy -it will probably come with an efs 18-55 and you can get a 55-250 for under £100 - which is a good starter mid range zoom.

wasnt FD manual focus though ? - so if they are canon AF they are probably EF mount designed to go on an old EOS SLR

However even if its an Eos system and the lenses will physically fit, many very old sigma lenses need to be rechipped to work with DSLRs - if you've owned the lenses from new sigma might do this for free - if you havent it costs about 50quid depending on what the lens is

to be honest though you won't get the best out of a new DSLR by using it with old lenses anyway - you'd be better off buying a couple of zooms to go with your new toy -it will probably come with an efs 18-55 and you can get a 55-250 for under £100 - which is a good starter mid range zoom.
This^
It'll fit, there's a small chance it's too old to work, and if it does it might not be a good lens anyway.

course it also depends what the lens is - if its a 500mm f4 then its worth having it chipped , if its a 28-200 f4.5-5.6 then it probably isnt - likewise on the condition of the lens etc etc

You may be right Pete, it has been a very long time since I used a Canon SLR ...

Back