IS for poor people

I've had a thin chain link one for years, mine has an adjustable loop at the bottom for the foot to go into so I can adjust the height. The only hard part was finding a bolt with the correct thread to fit the camera base.

Easiest way to get a screw to fit the bottom of the camera is to try and get hold of one from a tripod plate.(y)

Also be intresting to see how much better this would work on a lens with IS aswell

Bit like a monopod in reverse!! Good one!

It seems it isn't a new idea from a quick google.

I remember getting the idea from a camera magazine (AP?) way back in film days and then the author said it was a rehash of an older idea.

It's even better if you attach the string to the front of the lens, eg in the groove where the hood is attached (y)

Thats cool :)

I cant remember where i first heard of this idea but it was quite a while ago, its a great idea though and does help if you have shaky hands and have trouble holding lenses still.

hmm might try that.

On the method in the first post dont you have to be able to adjust the string length to suit the ground to shooting position dimension and for different shooting positions?

That would be a weakness of that version. Others use a loop with a slider to adjust height. What I thought was the best idea was just to have a longer cord and pass it under the foot and hold the loose end in your hand. It can then be adjusted to however you are using it although you need to keep hold of it. They also recomend for slightly more stability standing with feet apart and pasing it under both feet so that it has 2 'legs'.

I think I will try and find a suitable bolt and try it. If it helps at all then it is small and light enough to leave in the bag for those times you have a tripod but want a bit of assistance.

It's even better if you attach the string to the front of the lens, eg in the groove where the hood is attached (y)

That is interesting as that suggestion didn't crop up on any of the sites. It would make it even easier as you wouldn't need to find a bolt - just tie a loop in the cord. I suppose you would have to be careful with an extending lens that it didn't strain it though.

Keeping the end of the lens static is the trick to reducing the effects of shake and I'm surprised there aren't more gadgets about for this - an empty filter would probably work quite well. I guess strain could be an issue but you don't need that much pressure to keep the lens still.

Nice idea, I have tried similar things to this with the cameras neck strap before now and it works quite well!

i might try and make something for tomorrow as going shooting tomorrow

Not something I had ever heard of - thank you!

Easiest way to get a screw to fit the bottom of the camera is to try and get hold of one from a tripod plate.(y)

Also be intresting to see how much better this would work on a lens with IS aswell

Even easier is to use a quick release plate and attach the string to that :)

Although if you go to you hardware shop you will find a quater inch bolt with 20 threads to the inch pretty easy to find.

I think I read about it in my first digital camera book I bought, by Scott Kelby. But then again at 46 the memory isn't what it used to be.

I don't think you would need a loop, just put your foot hand on it and adjust the length you need by standing on the cord.

Threads are 1/4 whitworth.

Hey, that string works great, but your camera drops when you let go of it:thinking:

Allan

Back