Is it after eight yet? (Light Painting) *** Orginal Image Returned ***

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
So this is an idea that I had earlier this afternoon as I thought that it would be a little bit of fun :D and I'm still on a little high after getting my second explored image on flickr from my POTD yesterday :D see this THREAD

345/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Original Image - Replaced after intial critique no restored for comparison :D

After Eight - The Original by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I shot with a little bit of a shallow DoF to put the clock a little OOF (y) then light painted in a single exposure :D

As with all my photo's C&C is welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
I'd have set the clock to 2 minutes past eight to emphasise the point!

me too or at least, a second past 8 (y) but great idea, think I would have gone for sharp though out as well, as the DOF is to to shallow, only my opinion though, like the idea, and thought put into the shot, and nice painting (y)

Now that you've said that, I really makes me wish I knew how to change the time on this clock :bang: :bang: :bang: I may have to try and reshoot this now (y)

me too or at least, a second past 8 (y) but great idea, think I would have gone for sharp though out as well, as the DOF is to to shallow, only my opinion though, like the idea, and thought put into the shot, and nice painting (y)

See post above :bang: I think that it's a great idea :bang: I smell as quick re-shoot (y)

Matt

Think I would go for a little more room on the right as well Matt and tad more in the foreground from lessening the room above (y)

Image replaced with a new version :D taking in the ideas from above it's a slightly different composition in that the clock is a little closer than I had it before but I think that it works it's also been adjusted to put a little more space around the subject :D

Matt

Space around it looks better, as does the DOF, think I would just put a a second after eight, I preferred the original (maybe you should have left that image in as well so folks know what we are talking about) for the light in the FG as the left side of the wrapper and mint is lost, OH and is there one Less now :LOL: Kidding

Space around it looks better, as does the DOF, think I would just put a a second after eight, I preferred the original (maybe you should have left that image in as well so folks know what we are talking about) for the light in the FG as the left side of the wrapper and mint is lost, OH and is there one Less now :LOL: Kidding

I did actually set it to 1 minute past eight :LOL: but it took me a few minutes to get one I was happy with on the back of the camera and the change the time turns out to be a real pig :bang: I may have to put the other back up later, I've just replaced the image on flickr and in my 365, like I said on the OP still in a high at the moment :D

Matt

Hiya Matt,

I like the idea behind this and it would make a fantastic product shot .... however I have a few points of critique about the shot (purely my observation and my OCD kicking in):

1. The light reflection on the gold trim is slightly distracting (how did you light this?)

2. I find my eyes are drawn to the slightly OOF Roman Numerals on the clock ... and there seems to be slight motion blur in the minute hand (which I am still trying to decide if it suits the image or not ..... it does draw my attention away from the main idea of the product though) :shrug:

3. That bit of white speck on the left (which I presume is light reflecting off the corner of the choc wraper) is very distracting .... but easily sorted with a clone. I would have also been tempted to straighten out the right corner of the paper wrapper (just my OCD).

4. The majority of the chocs are positioned well .... however the one far left I would have put at a bit more of a point to continue the flow of the semi-circular formation .... it is just a bit too straight on breaking the continuity. After all one can't stop (well at least I know I can't) after having the first After Eight ..... they are one of my fav chocs.

5. Not that I one to normally follow the Rule of Thirds .... but I think in this case a bit more dark space to the left could benefit the shot.

6. There are also a very few minor artefacts/marks on the base below the right hand chocs .... which you could either clone out .... or by increasing the shadow slider slightly should eliminate same :shrug:

Otherwise I think it a great idea, especially as you have not included the box .... just the paper wrapper with the log .... which I think speaks for itself.

Apologies if this all sounds a bit nit-picky .... but knowing the kind of work you produce and the pride you take in same.... I hope this helps.

Oh and by the way ..... if you are worried about the time it takes you to get the shot ..... why not set the time to before 8 o'clock so you get the perfect shot at the right time you want .... which I agree should be just after 8 or ..... 8 minutes past 8. (That would fit in perfect with the Feng Shui, especially as you have 8 chocs in the semi-circle ....the ninth being the next one open which will replace one that is to be eaten ;))

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

Now that you've said that, I really makes me wish I knew how to change the time on this clock :bang: :bang: :bang: I may have to try and reshoot this now (y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Go on Matt you know you want to - I love the shot by the way :clap:

Les :D

Hiya Matt,

I like the idea behind this and it would make a fantastic product shot .... however I have a few points of critique about the shot (purely my observation and my OCD kicking in):

1. The light reflection on the gold trim is slightly distracting (how did you light this?)

2. I find my eyes are drawn to the slightly OOF Roman Numerals on the clock ... and there seems to be slight motion blur in the minute hand (which I am still trying to decide if it suits the image or not ..... it does draw my attention away from the main idea of the product though) :shrug:

3. That bit of white speck on the left (which I presume is light reflecting off the corner of the choc wraper) is very distracting .... but easily sorted with a clone. I would have also been tempted to straighten out the right corner of the paper wrapper (just my OCD).

4. The majority of the chocs are positioned well .... however the one far left I would have put at a bit more of a point to continue the flow of the semi-circular formation .... it is just a bit too straight on breaking the continuity. After all one can't stop (well at least I know I can't) after having the first After Eight ..... they are one of my fav chocs.

5. Not that I one to normally follow the Rule of Thirds .... but I think in this case a bit more dark space to the left could benefit the shot.

6. There are also a very few minor artefacts/marks on the base below the right hand chocs .... which you could either clone out .... or by increasing the shadow slider slightly should eliminate same :shrug:

Otherwise I think it a great idea, especially as you have not included the box .... just the paper wrapper with the log .... which I think speaks for itself.

Apologies if this all sounds a bit nit-picky .... but knowing the kind of work you produce and the pride you take in same.... I hope this helps.

Oh and by the way ..... if you are worried about the time it takes you to get the shot ..... why not set the time to before 8 o'clock so you get the perfect shot at the right time you want .... which I agree should be just after 8 or ..... 8 minutes past 8. (That would fit in perfect with the Feng Shui, especially as you have 8 chocs in the semi-circle ....the ninth being the next one open which will replace one that is to be eaten ;))

Well done

Cheers

Dawn

I was painted using a small torch over a long exposure :D I can see where your coming from with the from the items you've pointed out those are areas that could certainly be improved (y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Go on Matt you know you want to - I love the shot by the way :clap:

Les :D

Thanks Les :D I've put the original image back in the OP :D

Matt

Hi Matt,

Second one is definitely a HUGE improvement on the first. That composition just seems to work so much better.

Just a couple of little niggles that would make an already very good image perfect in my eyes. Personally, I think I'd have liked the DoF to be a little bit wider so that the clock face was also in pin sharp focus and more attention was drawn to the motion blur in the minute hand. And Dawn's already picked up my couple of niggles with the reflection and speck of light on the chocolate wrapper.

I really do like it a lot though, and I'm now craving some nice minty chocolate :D

Hi Matt,

Second one is definitely a HUGE improvement on the first. That composition just seems to work so much better.

Just a couple of little niggles that would make an already very good image perfect in my eyes. Personally, I think I'd have liked the DoF to be a little bit wider so that the clock face was also in pin sharp focus and more attention was drawn to the motion blur in the minute hand. And Dawn's already picked up my couple of niggles with the reflection and speck of light on the chocolate wrapper.

I really do like it a lot though, and I'm now craving some nice minty chocolate :D

Thank you Sarah :D I'm pleased that you like them :D I agree with you comment's as to how to improve them (y) I'll be reshooting at some point, I don't have enough after eights ATM :bang: some may have got eaten shortly after shooting :D

Matt how did you still have chocolates left? Your stronger then me :p

Cheer's Tony, believe it or not but there are actually still a small number left :D

Matt

hi Matt,

Great idea BTW, (y) but I actually like what you've done with the after eight mints in the first shot, they look more seductive, eat me feel about it, more impact.

The second shot with the added light has made them seem flatter IMHO.

ps. so sorry to hear about your illness.

hi Matt,

Great idea BTW, (y) but I actually like what you've done with the after eight mints in the first shot, they look more seductive, eat me feel about it, more impact.

The second shot with the added light has made them seem flatter IMHO.

ps. so sorry to hear about your illness.

Thanks Graham (y) I'm please you like it (y) I'm know I'm going to look stupid here but what Illness are you referring to :thinking:

True, very true.

:D

Matt

Back