Is it possible to reset Epson 24/277 setup cartridges ?

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I've just picked up an Epson XP-970 on a terrific deal from Amazon warehouse. On setup the printer informs me that it has already been initialised and cannot use the setup cartridges. I already had spare cartridges from my old printer and these allowed me to set up the 970 no problem which is now working fine. Amazon has given me a 25€ refund as the setups didn't work.
So, my question is, is there any way to reset or re-use the start up cartridges or should I just bin them ? Many thanks for any help or advice.
Julian

None too sure about the carts.....were they fresh unopened ones or returned part used ones???

However, I do wonder how the Amazon Warehouse listing described the printer? AFAIK and thought all warehouse items were unused returns not actual 'second-hand items'.....unless of course the listing declared that it had been used and was being sold as a used item???

It was described as used but basically brand new. The cartridges were fresh unopened, just that the printer had been initialised before.

Perhaps contact Epson to see if they have any user support for such a situation???

PS I was under impression that the carts that came with a new printer were simple short fill ones and as such were in effect 'normal' but just low volume. So your situation and findings are something I had not read or heard of before.

I tried Epson but they just told me to see the seller. Amazon did give me a partial refund but it seems a waste to just lob the setups. It seems that the Epson setup cartridges have a special chip and can only be used the one time for a brand new printer.

An HP970 is an OLD Printer. I hope you aren't planning to print photos with it. I still have one around for printing electrical drawings that were done on a DOS program and redirecting the printer output from the LPT1 port to a USB port to allow using this old program with a newer printer has proven futile, so the HP970 is still here. Back about 20 years ago I used this HP970 printer for photos, because there wasn't much better available. The ink for the HP970 is no where near as good and fade resistant as more modern photo printers, and the resolution by comparison is terrible too. You can actually see each separate ink dot in the photos. I was spraying my photos with Krylon clear to keep them from fading as quickly back then. I'm sure glad that they have improved both the printers and the ink since then. Good luck with it, but its a photo printing dinosaur by comparison to what's available now.

If you need further help with questions about this printer, I can dig it out and try to answer any questions that you may post, but seriously, find a better photo printer if that's your need. Really good photo printers are selling between $100 and 200 US now. Sorry, I don't know the conversion rate. My present cheap, but really good printer that gets hauled around is a Canon ix6820. It's a cheap printer for general photo printing use and prints up to 13 X 19" in paper size. It has incredible print quality over the HP970, with inks that don't fade for a very long time, even when exposed to Sunlight.

Charley

An HP970 is an OLD Printer. I hope you aren't planning to print photos with it. I still have one around for printing electrical drawings that were done on a DOS program and redirecting the printer output from the LPT1 port to a USB port to allow using this old program with a newer printer has proven futile, so the HP970 is still here. Back about 20 years ago I used this HP970 printer for photos, because there wasn't much better available. The ink for the HP970 is no where near as good and fade resistant as more modern photo printers, and the resolution by comparison is terrible too. You can actually see each separate ink dot in the photos. I was spraying my photos with Krylon clear to keep them from fading as quickly back then. I'm sure glad that they have improved both the printers and the ink since then. Good luck with it, but its a photo printing dinosaur by comparison to what's available now.

If you need further help with questions about this printer, I can dig it out and try to answer any questions that you may post, but seriously, find a better photo printer if that's your need. Really good photo printers are selling between $100 and 200 US now. Sorry, I don't know the conversion rate. My present cheap, but really good printer that gets hauled around is a Canon ix6820. It's a cheap printer for general photo printing use and prints up to 13 X 19" in paper size. It has incredible print quality over the HP970, with inks that don't fade for a very long time, even when exposed to Sunlight.

Charley
AFAIK the Epson XP-970 printer is not 20 years. No idea if an HP970 printer existed as all I could find was an HP 970 inkjet cartridge.

An HP970 is an OLD Printer. I hope you aren't planning to print photos with it.
I'm talking about an Epson XP-970 which is a current, quality AIO. Still haven't found an answer though. Thanks for your replies

Back