Is it right to 'interfere' when shooting nature?

Edit My Images
No
I saw this story on PetaPixel and thought it was quite amusing.

However, after reading through the comments I agree with the post from Matti Remonen. I think photographer was incredibly insensitive to do what he did. What happens if the lion bit down on the lens and ended up swallowing glass?

Thoughts?

FYI for those who couldn't find the post:
"Someone said: stupid lion. I would say that stupid photographer. The golden rule of nature photography and more so wild animal photography is: take only photos, leave nothing but footprints. What if the lion would have chocked on camera parts. Would the guy then rush the site and do Heimlich? This is stupid, stupid and stupid. Nothing else."

Last edited:
A sadder story would have been the lion getting shot by a ranger while this chap placed his camera. If there wasn't a ranger handy, more fool the photographer....
Approaching a fresh kill on foot is not the smartest thing.

I guess he wasn't thinking that the lion would chew the camera when it had a carcass available? :shrug:

.....Approaching a fresh kill on foot is not the smartest thing.

First and foremost, I firmly believe that it is wrong to do anything which changes an animals normal behaviour.

However whilst here are clearly instances where walking up to a lion kill is not the wisest of actions, there are situations where it can be done quite safely and without upsetting the lions.

I have walked up to and watched lions eating on numerous occasions, the lions have been aware of my presence (it is actually quite important that they do know you are there, the last thing you want to do is startle them) and have just gone about their business quite unconcerned.

This was taken just last month.....

2R4C8652 by Whyone, on Flickr

I've found some animals can detect the electronics cameras give out. Sharks are one of the most prolific at nicking cameras. Even my Mrs nearly had to give up a GoPro to a tiger shark last year.

Any kind of elasmobranch (sharks, skates and rays) is electroreceptive - that's how they hunt, they can sense the heartbeat and the muscle movement of their prey.

The better (at a species level) the hunter the more sensitive it is, not surprised that some of the bigger sharks are the most prolific.

I guess he paid the price for stupidity, at least this story mat serve to warn others but will inevitably put ideas in to many another.

Back