Is it worth getting a Flickr?

I recently got Flickr, I've put about 120 photos on there and had 1 comment...

I realise it's all about groups etc, but a bit too much hassle for me personally

I like it, its good if you build up a lot of contacts and friends.

Flickr is really all about the groups, I like Strobist and ones where you can actually learn something, but for many people it seems to be a way of getting an ego-massage, even if that does mean massaging 10 other people's egos in the process. Handy for cheap or free storage though.

I like it as it is easy and cheap hosting to post images on places like these.

When I first joined flickr I was sucked into the whole scoring groups thing. But after a while I realised that you would never get 100% honest critique that way. Plus a lot of comments would be insulting, even if your image was good. Then I developed a horrid irritation to those stupid big graphics groups use to advertise themselves. So I went through a stage of blocking contacts who posted those on my images prolifically (I'm talking bout 5 comments in a row, on the same image with a different 90's style graphic on each).

I kind of went off it a bit after that. But I had made some good friends on there, and I love seeing their fresh uploads, and commenting on them. Plus it's a good way to meet other togs who live near you. Also don't forget to search the 7 days of interesting bit in explore. That part is inspirational. Many a time I have had no motivation or inspiration, then an hour later, after searching through it I am refreshed and get on with some sort of shoot.

The other thing that is good ... if you tag your images correctly, you will be surprised at how many hits you get every day, from flickr but also from outside search engines, blogs and general sites. I've had a few people contact me after searching for an image and getting one of mine come up through flickr. I like checking my stats page on flickr to see what people are searching.

As Alby says, it's also a good cheap, but reliable hosting site for your postings here ;)

HTH ;)

I think Flickr's worth it - you can get as involved as you like, or just use it as reliable hosting. I like seeing where people have been posting my photos:) I do post to various groups, and I've just set up my first group, Scottish Sprints & Hillclimbs...

Yes flickr can be useful. I've been lucky enough to sell some of my pictures to people who have searched it for specific images.

i have only recently just signed up to flickr and im only using it as a online store for my photos to upload on forums ect....

Depends on what you want to use it for ... I have joined groups relating to my local area and therefore am in contact with other local people with an interest in photography, great for hearing about good local offers on equipment, local meets or when certain species of birds etc are in the area

Back