Is it worth it

Name
mike crabbe
Edit My Images
Yes
At present I have a Canon 600d with a EFS15-85 and a EFS 55-250. I would like to increase my zoom range and wondered if the canon 70-300 ,in place of the 55-250 would be worth considering?

Range wise you'll not gain much, also which version are you looking at as at least one flavour looses IS.

If you are set on that range also try looking at the 70-300 VC from Tamron, the IS equivalent is very good and its a tad sharper, although at £320 or so new its maybe over your budget (in which case ignore my next advice :))

Also whats you're subject - if its wildlife and you're on a budget I'd suggest the Sigma 150-500 OS second hand or if not then the 50-500 OS is very good too, but both are heavy.

Thanks fo advice ,The Canon I was looking at is about £400 with IS, but I will look at the Tamron

The gain of 50mm will not be significant for wildlife, as already mentioned I would look at a Sigma 150-500, an excellent value lens, maybe a bit more but worth saving for the extra.

+1 for the Sigma 150-500 OS. They are a great lens and well worth saving for. Mine is sharp from wide open and even sharper from f8 to f11, they have a great stabilizer system and fast AF. The only downfall is the weight, but you soon get used to it, and I'm getting sharp shots down to 1/10sec.

Back