Is it worth the upgrade

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I make no bones about being confused over pixels, pixel density, sensor megapixels etc. I have a Canon 5D3 and it currently produces the goods for me, but I have the option to get the 5D4. My images are sport, wildlife and a developing interest in macro. For the sport, will 1fps make the difference? and will the leap from 20 to 30Mp be seen in image quality? (I'm sticking with my L Series lenses).
Will things be noticed at A3 print size, or Club Comp size in projection with dpi 1800 x 1200?
Thoughts appreciated.

I make no bones about being confused over pixels, pixel density, sensor megapixels etc. I have a Canon 5D3 and it currently produces the goods for me, but I have the option to get the 5D4. My images are sport, wildlife and a developing interest in macro. For the sport, will 1fps make the difference? and will the leap from 20 to 30Mp be seen in image quality? (I'm sticking with my L Series lenses).
Will things be noticed at A3 print size, or Club Comp size in projection with dpi 1800 x 1200?
Thoughts appreciated.

The extra pixels might allow more cropping for wildlife if your lenses and technique are good enough. Does it have more or less dynamic range than your present camera and is the AF better or worse?

If there's no benefit in these areas then I can't see a point to upgrading.

I'd agree that there would be marginal benefits - but you'd likely not notice it most of the time. If the option to the 5d4 cost next to nothing to change up - then I'd go for it - but if it's a fair chunk of money - I'd stay as I was.

I'd agree that there would be marginal benefits - but you'd likely not notice it most of the time. If the option to the 5d4 cost next to nothing to change up - then I'd go for it - but if it's a fair chunk of money - I'd stay as I was.
Chris makes a good point - how much will it cost you to upgrade?

If you can get a good deal on a used one maybe.

Terrible time to buy a new one, if doing that you want to be buying them earlier in their life cycle in my opinion,

From the reviews I have read, the main difference is in video performance. This makes no difference to me so I’ll keep with my 5Diii. If prices drop substantially I will reconsider.

Chris makes a good point - how much will it cost you to upgrade?
I have a colleague who wants the 5D3, vertical grip and a 50mm 1.8 so i would have £900 to put towards the 5D4.
To replace it with a 5D4 and grip would likely cost me £2k+

I have a colleague who wants the 5D3, vertical grip and a 50mm 1.8 so i would have £900 to put towards the 5D4.

Absolutely not worth it, based on your criteria plus comments above from those who know Canon better than me.

For that amount - I can't say I'd bother. (although I know it's always nice to have a shiny new thing)

No, no and no. mk III is perfectly capable of larger than A2 prints. I've done a fair amount of A1s.

But you will be much more happily printing at A0! ... with the right technique of course.

For the sport, will 1fps make the difference?

Roughly 20% extra. I really don't think so. Well not much.

Personally, I think the price of mk IVs are yet to really drop so you may as well wait. For something free and transformative for mk III have a look at Magic Lantern. Hopefully your firmware is still one of the older ones.

Thank you all, unanimous.
I don't think it will help me achieve anything beyond what the 5D3 is doing for me now, or being capable of if I use it properly.

A used excellent condition 5D4 and battery grip would set you back circa £2k so to exchange would ‘only’ be in the £1k region, but even then I don’t think it’s worth it tbh.

Thoughts appreciated.
A3 at 300 PPI is 17.4 megapixels, 1800 x 1200 is under 2.2 megapixels. As above, the higher resolution will only really help if you need to crop. When shooting sports, if you don't find you are missing shots with the current framerate, then the upgrade probably isn't necessary.

Back