Is the camera I bought really "new" if it has had 5,500 shots taken on it?

thanks.

when going thru the menu tonight, I noticed on one was an option for battery. when I clicked on it, it had battery percent used, but also said 'shutter count 0'.
only time will tell (unless someone else knows) whether this is total shutter count, or indeed something to do with the battery (ie how many pressed since battery changed).
either way, it doesn't seem like it would be two big a stretch to squeeze official count into one of the 15 pages of menus!

Would suggest that's the same as the nikon pic meter, which is shutter count on that specific battery charge.

Dont mean to question this David but i have had sealed boxes with a circular sticker over the top edge near to the cut out where you put your finger/thumb to open it
Likewise Gary..............:shrug:

Lenses and bodies have come in sealed boxes. Last one I bought was the 28-300,that was deffo sealed as were my D700 and 70-200 that I bought and collected from Calumet.

Weird that some are not sealed.

Dont mean to question this David but i have had sealed boxes with a circular sticker over the top edge near to the cut out where you put your finger/thumb to open it

I'm fairly sure that my D4 had this.

Kev.

Maybe it's a difference in kit packaging, and body only packaging... to stop kit parts being sold separately. Every body I've bought hasn't been sealed, not have any of the lenses. I can photograph my boxes and post them up if you like :)

I could bring up again my story about jessops who sold me my 50d. They brought one out but the box was open so I asked for a sealed box as I'd had issues with them trying to sell me ex demo stuff as new before. They said no problem, came out with a sealed box, but when I got it home, it had a 4gb card in it with shots of the shop and staff. They'd just sealed the box with a circular clear sticker.
Phone the shop, they said I could keep the card as a bonus but I wasn't happy. They said they didn't have another in stock and I ended up progressing it through the head office to get a replacement.

Three times various jessops stores tried to sell me heavily used ex demo stuff at the new price, then seemed upset when I wouldn't buy it. So I never used them again, either using my two independent local stores or Kelso.

I could bring up again my story about jessops who sold me my 50d. They brought one out but the box was open so I asked for a sealed box as I'd had issues with them trying to sell me ex demo stuff as new before. They said no problem, came out with a sealed box, but when I got it home, it had a 4gb card in it with shots of the shop and staff. They'd just sealed the box with a circular clear sticker.
Phone the shop, they said I could keep the card as a bonus but I wasn't happy. They said they didn't have another in stock and I ended up progressing it through the head office to get a replacement.

Three times various jessops stores tried to sell me heavily used ex demo stuff at the new price, then seemed upset when I wouldn't buy it. So I never used them again, either using my two independent local stores or Kelso.
And they wonder why they went bust

Maybe it's a difference in kit packaging, and body only packaging... to stop kit parts being sold separately. Every body I've bought hasn't been sealed, not have any of the lenses. I can photograph my boxes and post them up if you like :)
100% believe you David but ive got 2 x D3S boxes at home with a seal and one D800 with the seal also

Excellent result - really glad it's sorted out to your satisfaction.
Please Don't name the shop - they have resolved it to your satisfaction & at least you have raised awareness that this is happening.

Buy a camera - check how many shots / hours its been used for before you leave the shop.

Excellent result - really glad it's sorted out to your satisfaction.
Please Don't name the shop - they have resolved it to your satisfaction & at least you have raised awareness that this is happening.

Buy a camera - check how many shots / hours its been used for before you leave the shop.

That's exactly my point. I asked for help, I got great help from this forum.

I followed your collective advice, the shop agreed that there had been an issue, and they resolved it instantly and without any fuss.

I think it has also made everyone think twice when they spend their money, to ensure that they're getting exactly what they expected. Even those who were already ultra careful, probably are that way because of an earlier bad experience in life.

Simon

I always think it's how a retailer deals with a problem is when you find out how good the retailer is. In your situation they have done the right thing and exchanged it, they can't have done any better than that really. I would find it really annoying if I'd spent such an amount on a 'new' item only to find it was a 'demo' model or a customer return.

If they are totally upfront about it and offer you a discount or some other incentive to accept the demo model then it's up to you to decide. So glad you have got your new camera sorted, now go out and enjoy it and don't worry about how you got it.

Regarding sealed boxes, the only sealed boxes I've received was for my 5D2 and 24-105 f4L kit and my 5D3 body only and they were bought from Hdew Cameras. All the rest, including lenses weren't sealed but the packaging was all untouched inside the box (sealed & untorn battery bags, smooth uncreased wrapped bodies and accessories etc)

Last edited:
As for your car analogy, it's known that cars will have delivery mileage from being driven at various points from the factory to dealer prep/shakedown before being happy it's ready for handover.
They could very easily wipe off the 10/20/30 miles clocked up, but that's considered illegal.

As a car diagnostician and user of dealer diagnostic tools (running a business)I can tell that most of main dealer diagnostic tools can roll mileage back if less than 250miles on Mercs 100 miles on Vauxhalls etc..

Now with cameras is a different thing..car has to be moved on wheel..cameras comes on a sealed box so no way to have hundreds or thousands actuations..

I am still keen to know who they are..

That's my 2 p..

Well, I certainly started a lively debate with this, didn't I - apologies for the delay in coming back with a response, but it took until late this afternoon for me to speak to the appropriate person in the shop.

The great news is revealed by the following picture ....

p1407022454-2.jpg

Thats great news Simon

Enjoy your new camera now (y)

So I spoke to the person at the shop, explained how I'd come to first think there were 5,500 previous shutter releases (due to using unformatted card), and then found with EOS Count there had been 1,600 or so in fact.

He wasn't at all surprised (so at least we didn't have the fake "not when it left the shop" arguement, that could have occurred), and suggested that he had mentioned that it was an ex-demo. When I said not so, and clearly I wouldn't have paid full retail price for an ex-demo, the response was that I got a SD memory card chucked in. My view was that was cos I spent another £1,600 on other things when I brought the kit ... blah blah.

Anyway, he immediately said he had sealed boxed ones in, and if I wanted to swap it I could. I would need to pay for the card, which was fine.

I swapped it as soon as I could get there (no kidding!!), and he actually did NOT charge me for the card.

So, I feel like I have had a lucky escape, and I'm clearly glad that I brought from a shop so I could easily follow up with any issues quite simply.

I don't think it was the best purchasing experience ever, but I would say that I was very happy with how they resolved my issue when I contacted them.

Thanks very much for the invaluable help you've provided, in guiding me through this experience. It's very helpful to know other folks are prepared to take the time to help out.

Thanks, Simon

So when you say sealed, how was it sealed?

thanks.

when going thru the menu tonight, I noticed on one was an option for battery. when I clicked on it, it had battery percent used, but also said 'shutter count 0'.
only time will tell (unless someone else knows) whether this is total shutter count, or indeed something to do with the battery (ie how many pressed since battery changed).
either way, it doesn't seem like it would be two big a stretch to squeeze official count into one of the 15 pages of menus!
It's to do with the battery.

Yep that is a shot count for that battery since it was inserted into the camera mate.

graphilly said:
So when you say sealed, how was it sealed?

well, I think what's becoming obvious from this thread is sealed is often a virtual state, meaning not yet opened. there is no sign of a seal to break/broken - does seem crazy, as most everything in life comes in a sealed box.

that's why the first thing I did when I got home was paid to eos count it!!

he immediately said he had sealed boxed ones in, and if I wanted to swap it I could. I would need to pay for the card, which was fine.

So even after all that, he still suggested you would have to pay for the card, what a prat, he should have just let that go, yes i know you got the card in the end, but that was most probably through his error, and not goodwill towards the customer. I think on that basis you should name the shop, as i doubt it's one i would like to buy from.

On this subject (and I will name names)... Yesterday I had a look at a friend's supposedly brand new D3100 from Argos that "won't focus". It was set to BBF. Surely Nikon would never ship a camera like that?

gridlock said:
On this subject (and I will name names)... Yesterday I had a look at a friend's supposedly brand new D3100 from Argos that "won't focus". It was set to BBF. Surely Nikon would never ship a camera like that?

No, I don't think they would...or would they ?
Pretty unlikely though.

Well BBF is not a factory default in anybody's money...

Glad you got it sorted in the end..but them asking you to pay for the card after all this???

You noticed the counter reading but I wonder how many other don't have a clue about what they buy..

Back