Is there a decent lens of around 40-150mm...?

Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering...
I have found my 24-70 to be too short at times, and am just curious if there is a lens that is slightly longer, but not as long as my 70-200. I want, ideally, f2.8, IS might be nice, and a focal length of around 40mm to around 150mm.
I see Sigma do one for a crop sensor, but what about us Canon 5d users - is there something out there that has a fairly wide aperture ?
I may look at the 18-200 lenses, but the maximum aperture is going to put me off I fear..
Any ideas ?

Not as far as I know. Unfortunately, that looks like your best bet.

I'm pretty sure the Sigma DC lenses (ones for crop sensors) fit on full frame bodies, since at work we play with a sigma 8mm fisheye on a 5d. Might need to check that one though.

Hmm - not such good news foodpoison (and happy birthday by the way !)
Just been looking and I can't see much at all that covers that 'mid-range' without loosing the aperture, so I might have to think again..

I'm pretty sure the Sigma DC lenses (ones for crop sensors) fit on full frame bodies, since at work we play with a sigma 8mm fisheye on a 5d. Might need to check that one though.

The Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye is a DG lens not a DC one. The f/4 version isn't designated as DC or DG. It works well on both FF (35mm) and Dx bodies but the image is cropped top and botton (landscape format!) on the Dx format.

Yep, it's a problem. I have a 24-105mm f4 as a walkabout lens and it's fab............until the light goes. I then have to switch to a 24-70 f2.8 and lose the top end zoom or take a 70-200 f2.8 as well.

Basically if it's daylight I'll happily use the 24-105mm if I'm likely to encounter low light it has to be the 24-70/70-200 combo. That's a lot of lens to carry and a heck of an expense so I'm with you on thinking why not have a 24-150mm f2.8? Would be smashing :)

AliB - I used to have a 24-105, and sold it mainly as it was just a little too slow at times - otherwise it is a perfect lens, although something as wide but longer, with f2.8 would surely be such a killer all purpose lens,even if expensive..

Ah, my bad :puke:

Perhaps a 40-150 focal length doesn't exist. I can't find anything in Sigma's nor Canon's lineup that will fit that.

I know changing lenses isn't ideal, but perhaps you could go for say, a 35mm prime and a 70-200 2.8?
At least the prime would be pocketable.. ish..

..and thanks for the input..!
40mm was just picked as being a decent wide-ish focal length - I guess I am hoping to find what for me would be a perfect walk-about lens - wide but long, big aperture but not too heavy, and all for under £60 before cash-back..
Seriously, the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 would be a pretty good one, if only it was available for a full frame sensor..

Steve,

Don't discount the 28-135 IS....not quite as quick as you're after but produces quite reasonable quality.

BOb

Took your time to get here Bob - you still suffering ?
I know nothing about the 28-135, so will take a look !
I assume you have/have had a copy of it - is it pretty fast to focus ?

im sure Sigma does a 50-150mm F2.8 lens...

About the closest to the range you are looking for is probably the Canon 35-135 (Which I happen to have for sale:D ) but it is only an F4-5.6 which is probably too slow for you. It does have a USM ring motor which is about the fastest focusing you'll get.

Took your time to get here Bob - you still suffering ?
I know nothing about the 28-135, so will take a look !
I assume you have/have had a copy of it - is it pretty fast to focus ?

Yep, still suffering but getting better by the day now.

I bought a 28-135 as a walkabout for the Mrs...does the job and means that she leaves my poor old L's alone. :puke:
It's not a focussing slouch but isn't going to the Olympics either.

I'll bring it along if I manage to get better quicker than you.

Bob

The race is on then Bob - the over 50's Reject Ramble - 20 metres of breathtaking, for us, excitement, as two of the least fit members of TP struggle to get out of their chairs and reach the far side of the room.
Watch in awe at the foul tactics - Gasp as Steve jabs at Bob with his crutches, then cry in pity as Bob tickles Steve with his moustache...
Place your bets now folks !

Watch in awe at the foul tactics - Gasp as Steve jabs at Bob with his crutches, then cry in pity as Bob tickles Steve with his moustache...
Place your bets now folks !

It'll all hinge on where I try to tickle you with it :puke:

Back