Is there an idiots guide to video

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, whilst I don't do that much video, I'm always confused and curious (doesn't take much) by the various options available in most modern cameras.

I understand that full HD (non 4K) is currently a frame size of 1920 x 1080 resolution, but what I don't get is what frame rate to use. I see options like 24P, 25, 30, 50 & 60 etc. and various "containers" such as AVCHD, MOV, MP4 etc.

Which one is the best for general shooting - is that even answerable ?

Also, whilst I'm asking such basic questions, is there a correlation between quality (or smoothness) of the video in relation to shutter speed. I think I read somewhere that you should set the shutter speed to twice that of your selected frame rate - i.e. for a frame rate of 25fps, a shutter speed of 1/50sec should be used. Did I understand that correctly ? If that's the case, then when the camera is in one of the standard program modes (aperture priority / shutter priority) and you just press the red "Record button", does that just record with a basic set of options, or should I go to the dedicated "movie" option on the control dial, select either manual or shutter priority and select the shutter speed (as above) from there ?

My cameras BTW are Olympus OMD-EM1, and Panasonic GX7 and GH3 models.

Sorry if these are really basic questions, but still images i'd like to think I'm quite good at, but video is another kettle of fish altogether.

If that's the case, then when the camera is in one of the standard program modes (aperture priority / shutter priority) and you just press the red "Record button", does that just record with a basic set of options, or should I go to the dedicated "movie" option on the control dial, select either manual or shutter priority and select the shutter speed (as above) from there ?

On my Canon you can't record video in anything else apart from the video mode on the dial. Pressing the red button while in the other modes would bring up liveview for taking pictures.

When in video mode all the dials work to change the aperture, shutter speed and ISO whilst recording. With regards to the frame rate, I think my Canon only has a choice of ranges you mentioned if I change from PAL to NTSC (50,60)

Hi Guys, whilst I don't do that much video, I'm always confused and curious (doesn't take much) by the various options available in most modern cameras.

I understand that full HD (non 4K) is currently a frame size of 1920 x 1080 resolution, but what I don't get is what frame rate to use. I see options like 24P, 25, 30, 50 & 60 etc. and various "containers" such as AVCHD, MOV, MP4 etc.

Which one is the best for general shooting - is that even answerable ?

Also, whilst I'm asking such basic questions, is there a correlation between quality (or smoothness) of the video in relation to shutter speed. I think I read somewhere that you should set the shutter speed to twice that of your selected frame rate - i.e. for a frame rate of 25fps, a shutter speed of 1/50sec should be used. Did I understand that correctly ? If that's the case, then when the camera is in one of the standard program modes (aperture priority / shutter priority) and you just press the red "Record button", does that just record with a basic set of options, or should I go to the dedicated "movie" option on the control dial, select either manual or shutter priority and select the shutter speed (as above) from there ?

My cameras BTW are Olympus OMD-EM1, and Panasonic GX7 and GH3 models.

Sorry if these are really basic questions, but still images i'd like to think I'm quite good at, but video is another kettle of fish altogether.

There is a correlation between shutter speed and motion effects. Too slow a speed and you get excessive motion blur, to high and you get judder. Half the frame rate is a compromise - you can move away from it, but not too far.

With regards framerate - Choose a family to prevent issues with lighting flicker - a multiple of 25 in the EU, a multiple of 30 in the US (29.97 actually). The higher the frame rate, the better the motion portrayal but the more light/ bigger aperture needed.

If you shoot off speed and get lighting flicker, you can't fix it.

AVCHD is a profile of H.264 - MOV and MP4 are both container file formats.

Don't know about Idiots guide, but there's a Dummies guide available used over at Amazon for about £4. Thinking about picking one of these up myself.

Back