Is This A Green Shield Bug?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
One from today, I thought this was a Shield Bug but it looks different from the other Green Shield Bug in my gallery.C&C most welcome.

0391.jpg

It is indeed.

I found one the other day that was a completely different colour to the original green one I had photographed before!! :)

It had a lot of dark maroon colour on it as well as the green and I noticed it was crawling on the grass in patches of a very short weed of the same colour. Was wondering if they use the same effect as chameleons?

AHA.. there are half a dozen different types and yours is indeed a Green Shield Bug and mine was a Hawthorn Shield Bug I think.

Last edited:
It is indeed.

I found one the other day that was a completely different colour to the original green one I had photographed before!! :)

It had a lot of dark maroon colour on it as well as the green and I noticed it was crawling on the grass in patches of a very short weed of the same colour. Was wondering if they use the same effect as chameleons?

AHA.. there are half a dozen different types and yours is indeed a Green Shield Bug and mine was a Hawthorn Shield Bug I think.
Thanks Janice, interesting point re the Chameleons.
(y)

It's a nymph rather than the adult.
They go through 5 nymph stages (known as instars) before a final skin shed that makes them an adult.

I think this is a 3rd instar

It's a nymph rather than the adult.
They go through 5 nymph stages (known as instars) before a final skin shed that makes them an adult.

I think this is a 3rd instar

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

(y)

Back