Is this a processing technique or a shooting technique?

Name
Sammy
Edit My Images
Yes
hello :D can anyone advise what has achieved the darkness circling this picture.....

MustangStampedeAceCafe_028.jpg

apologies for stealing a picture from this site for an example :)

it's called vignetting
originally caused by the lens not being big enough to quite cover the film
now "caused" by software!

its called a vignette. Various ways of doing it, but the easiest to describe is to select an area using lasso tool, feather it heavily (eg 200-300 pixels), then invert selection and use levels to darken the outsides.

Or if you have Lightroom the vignette tool.

Or use a hood that is too narrow for your lens.

Theres a vignette tool in photoshop as well, it's in filter/distort/lens correstion. Wayne

Forgot to add the len correction tool automaticly unlocks the background layer, you have to flatten it if you wan't to save as jpeg. Wayne

You don't have to do it in photoshop. A lens hood suited for a lens less wide angle than the lens being used will do it.

e.g. This shot looks like it may have been taken with a 24mm lens. A lens hood for a 50mm lens will probably produces similar darkening in the corners.

Steve.

You don't have to do it in photoshop. A lens hood suited for a lens less wide angle than the lens being used will do it.

e.g. This shot looks like it may have been taken with a 24mm lens. A lens hood for a 50mm lens will probably produces similar darkening in the corners.

Steve.

Valid point - but no 50mm lens I've ever owned has been the same diameter as a wide angle. Also, if you do it at the capture stage - you're foobarred if you decide it's wrong for any reason

Much better to add in the right amount later :)

DD

Valid point - but no 50mm lens I've ever owned has been the same diameter as a wide angle.

A good point. However, I have 28mm, 50mm and 135mm Minolta Rokkor lenses which all have a 55mm filter thread so it is a possibility. A lot of Nikon lenses are standardised at 52mm and If I remember correctly, Canons are often 58mm.

Actually, thinking about it, I have done this. I accidently used my 50mm RB67 lens with the rubber lens hood for the 90mm lens and got the same effect (although it was an unwanted effect in this case!).

Which brings up another example. Those two RB67 lenses and the 180mm also share the same 77mm filter thread.

Steve.

A good point. However, I have 28mm, 50mm and 135mm Minolta Rokkor lenses which all have a 55mm filter thread so it is a possibility. A lot of Nikon lenses are standardised at 52mm and If I remember correctly, Canons are often 58mm.

Actually, thinking about it, I have done this. I accidently used my 50mm RB67 lens with the rubber lens hood for the 90mm lens and got the same effect (although it was an unwanted effect in this case!).

Which brings up another example. Those two RB67 lenses and the 180mm also share the same 77mm filter thread.

Steve.

Perhaps that's an 'older' lenses type thing then - mine at either 67 or 77mm, my nifty is not

DD

Back