Is this a sensor or lens problem?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Here are a couple of samples taken with my Sony W17 compact, these are 400x400 pixel crops out of the original 3072 x 2304 images.

DSC07886_crop.jpg

DSC08011_crop.jpg

edit: I tried the image tag around those urls but nothing showed so I've put the images as links, they open in a new window. Not sure how to get the images to show properly here.

It was bought from Jacobs in June 2006, near the end of the first year I returned it because of spots, it came back ok. Almost immediately the spots were back, so it went back again. Finally I sent it to Sony myself and told them I thought there was a 'hidden defect' in the camera. Sony say it's something on the lens and that there is no dust inside the camera. There are more spots that this, these are the worst ones. They don't move around, but they do become more or less noticeable as the zoom is operated.

I have cleaned the lens aggressivley with a non-abrasive household window cleaner - nothing to lose really :crying: but that's not helped.

I really like this camera, I've taken nearly 20 thousand images with it, if anyone has comments or suggestions I'll be pleased to hear them.

I bought a Canon G10 about 6 weeks ago to replace the W17.

I have a Sony DSC-P200, which I think hails from the same or similar era, and that definitely suffered from sensor dust. The extending, unsealed lens is pretty certain to allow dust in if you don't use some sort of dust/lint free case to protect the camera - e.g. if you stuff it straight into your pocket. The problem is most obvious when at the long end of the lens and stopped down.

Here is a forum thread about the problem and how to fix it on the P200. I followed these instructions and had to clean the camera every few months....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&message=18034340&changemode=1

I now have a Fuji F100fd, which I imagine has the same weak spot in the design, and I always store it either in a small plastic bag - the one it was packed in within the box - or a proper camera pouch. I know the Canon G9 had complaints about sensor dust but I have not heard anything about the G10. I suggest for peace of mind you keep it stored in a proper case or other dust free protector when out and about.

Marks on the lens itself seldom show themselves in the images because the marks are not on the focal plane and are blurred beyond recognition. Dust/hairs on the sensor will show up at small apertures because they cast a shadow onto the sensor itself.

I can't see the pictures???

Nor me, but it sure sounds like sensor dust. Here's an example of the problem I had (see top right)....

20060704_073545_LR.jpg

Everyone has dust on the sensor and its a common thing why worry about it a quick blow with a blower normally does the trick.........just buy any blower from 99p to about £10 they all do the same and remove dust bunnies

Everyone has dust on the sensor and its a common thing why worry about it a quick blow with a blower normally does the trick.........just buy any blower from 99p to about £10 they all do the same and remove dust bunnies

It's a compact DM, not so easy to get at the sensor to give a quick puff.

tdodd thanks for the link. I got hold of the Sony W17 service manual; take-apart for the W17 is not quite so easy. The front bezel on the lens is glued in place, you have to soften the glue with a soldering iron then prise it off and according to the guide, discard it.
How did you get the image to show? When I put image tags around my url it didn't work.

The links have some sort of referrer protection in place.

Click the links, you'll get a 404 error, then refresh the page and the images will be there.

Looks like dust on the sensor to me. Are they always in the same place?

The links have some sort of referrer protection in place.

Click the links, you'll get a 404 error, then refresh the page and the images will be there.

Looks like dust on the sensor to me. Are they always in the same place?

thanks for the info about copy protection, I didn't realise that was there, so I've moved the images to a different server, hopefully they will now show up fine.

Yes, that are always in the same place. As you zoom the camera they get bigger and blacker.

Back