Island of Mull or Lewis ?

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all hubby and I are hoping to book a week in the beginning of October

Our choice is either of the above and he does not mind which.
For me I will still be trying to capture some beginner landscape shots and just wondered which island would give me the most opportunity
I know they are both well worth a visit but for a beginner what would you choose
Cathy

Landscapes are a personal thing.

It's not as convenient but my preference would be the Western Isles over Mull.

That said I stay in a cottage on Loch Sunart and visit Mull regularly - I love it and I'll next be there again in early October.

I've not been to the Western Isles for a few years but I've just booked a couple of weeks on Harris so I'm also looking forward to that for a slight change.

Last edited:
Hi all hubby and I are hoping to book a week in the beginning of October

Our choice is either of the above and he does not mind which.
For me I will still be trying to capture some beginner landscape shots and just wondered which island would give me the most opportunity
I know they are both well worth a visit but for a beginner what would you choose.

I see this message it is headed England but I know these are Scottish so not sure what I did :)

Cathy

Phil thank you and I know what you mean about Landscape being personal but believe me right now I don't mind

as I will just be practising and getting to grips with the rule of thirds and composition and mostly light.
Cathy

We tend to be at Loch Sunart / Mull around October so the days aren't the longest but there's a good variety of landscapes.

The Western Isles is probably more diverse from the rugged mountains of Harris to miles of golden beaches and blue sea not to mention sunsets to die for. There's also something about the light that's quite magical. I'll be there April and May so I'm hoping for some good photography time.

North and South Uist are relatively flat with lots of moorland, there are mountains of course, but not spectacular.

Harris is like a lunar landscape really, very rocky.

All three are stunning and i`m sure you`ll enjoy whichever you go to.

Can`t comment on Lewis, long time since I have been there. Mull is pretty good, but very popular.

Ardnamurchan is always worth some time on the way to Mull, assuming you cross at Fort William.

Phil and Ade thank you,

I can see the choice is going to be hard :)

I like the sound of nice beaches and flat moorland as I am taking my two Bernese mountain dogs with us, if we can find a pet friendly cottage.
Amazing sunsets would be great! apart from enjoying them it will let me get some time to try and get it right.
While hubby is golfing I intend to just get in the car or walk to places of interest and see what I can capture.
Also hoping to try some local wildlife so all in all it should be fun.
Cathy

Look up 'Luskentyre' then, the dogs will love it. You'll find self catering cottages within a stone's throw from the beach.

Best beach in the UK and regularly in the world's top ten.

I love Mull, but remember the Mull Rally takes place the 11th to the 13th October. Fantastic event, but if you have come for the wildlife it will make getting round the island harder as most roads are closed at various times during the event.

http://mullrally.com/

Look up 'Luskentyre' then, the dogs will love it. You'll find self catering cottages within a stone's throw from the beach.

Agree, the beaches on Harris are amazing.

Well the beaches win.
We have both decided to try and find something in or close to Harris and hubby can play their 9 hole golf course if weather allows
Thank you for your help it is always nice to hear from someone who has been
Wish s luck finding a pet friendly not too many there I see
Cathy

I'm taking three dogs to a pet friendly house we have rented for 2 weeks in a very small village called Kilchoan. On the mainland but easy ferry ride over to Tobermory.

Off this weekend if you want details of the owners 2 dog friendly properties in the village, let me know.

Mark

+1 (y)

I went and stayed in one of those cottages in September a few years ago.
Huge storm cancelled the ferries while we were there, but the light, oh my word - was monumental !!!!
Here's a photo from that trip I still think is one of the best landscapes I've taken.
And the beach is as good as the hype would have you believe.
I really badly want to get back there.

Mind you, all the other suggestions are excellent and if you go to Mull you will be wondering why on Earth you need to travel all the way to Harris.
But once you have been to Harris, the rest of Scotland looks kind of tame - it's worth the effort.

Duncan WoW!

These are very special ! I enjoyed them all
I liked Kate's cottage in the moonlight just wonderful!
Cathy

Cheers Cathy :beer:

Have you Googled Luskentyre yet?
Here's one I found - those colours are natural. Two of the three houses you can see there are self-catering and there is another one just up the track on the right where I stayed. When I went there the peat washing out of the mountains turned the streams tea coloured and the blue and brown spiralled around the bay in a kaleidoscope of colour.

If the images of Luskentyre look familiar it's because that beach appears in the portfolio of many famous landscape photographers, and the odd thing is that because of where it is you will be unlucky to have to share it with anyone else :)

So very beautiful! another fabulous capture for you.
I am really looking forward to getting there now.

Duncan I did look at one of these cottages but it was booked during then first week of October.
We will find something and I can't wait, so I must get out and practice taking some landscapes :)
Cathy

Duncan we will be staying in Lewis. My husband is a retired police officer and one of his friends put us onto a cottage that was free at the beginning of October and they were more than happy to allow us to bring our two Bernese with us.They are very well behaved dogs and as we live in the countryside they are used to sheep etc
We will have to travel around as the cottage is just outside Stornoway in the village of Back however it is a great base and I can't wait :)

Last edited:
Back