Isle of May - lens advice

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
I was lucky enough to win a day on the Isle of May with a professional wildlife photographer in a photography competition, and we are off the Scotland next Saturday for the trip. The photographer, Lorne Gill, seems quite hard to contact, so I wondered if anyone else has been there and can give me some advice with regard to lenses.

A month ago I would have taken my 100-400, 70-200 f2.8 and perhaps my 24-105 (on a 7D) but I have recently bought a 500 f4 for which I don't yet have a bag. I could put it in a plastic bag for the crossing, but if there are cliffs like Skomer I would not want to carry it up there in my hand, and it would pretty much preclude taking any other lens. I have a monopod and head for it, and I just LOVE the images it produces.

So, what do you reckon, my other lenses, or the 500

A 100-400 would be perfect if you only took one lens, 500 would be a bit on the long side

Thanks, Admirable, I had a feeling that would be the case. Much as I love the 500, it isn't that practicable to lug about without a bag, so if the 100-400 would be good I will stick with that plus the 70-200 and possible something wider.

Back