Isle of Skye... lens choice

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Skye this weekend but I'm a bit unsure what I should put on my D800. Currently have a Nikon 24 mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 and my Nikon 50 but I'm half wondering if I should hire something for the weekend maybe a 24-70.....

Just wondering what other folk have used on trips up there?

I think the primes you already have cover most of the 24-70mm range. Skye is all about the landscape - if anything I'd be looking to hire something a bit wider - maybe a 16--35mm f4?

I think the primes you already have cover most of the 24-70mm range. Skye is all about the landscape - if anything I'd be looking to hire something a bit wider - maybe a 16--35mm f4?

I have been looking at a 16-35 f4 and I'm seriously considering that but I half wondered if 24mm might be wide enough and a 24-70 would allow me to get away without changing lenses too miuch while I'm away (also more weather resistant!)

On my visit, most shots were taken with the D800 and 24mm f1.4, next was with the 24-120mm f4 and a couple with the 70-200mm f2.8.
I took the 14-24mm f2.8 but didn't make much use of it - with what you have you probably don't need a 24-70 but you might find something a bit longer useful for other than wide landscape.

I could imagine you wanting more zoom, something around 200mm.
The classic locations of Man of Storr and Cuillins from Elgol are all relatively distant scenes, but there's lots more to see than that.

I think you're asking a question you already know the answer to Chris ;) So many possibilities in scenery like that you can catch great shots with any focal length. I'd take the lenses you normally shoot landscapes with as you're much more likely to come away with shots you're happy with

Simon

Chris, how long are you there for and I assume you're driving. I lived and went to school in Skye. I'd take all your kit including tripod. As said above, The Black Cuillin are fantastic (if clear), and spooky if covered in cloud. They don't call it the Misty Isle for no reason. The Old Man of Storr which as you're probably aware is a pinnacle around 160 feet high. It's worth a walk/scramble up to as the rock formations there are brilliant. The same goes for the Quiraing, about 5 miles north from there. I'd hire a longer prime, at least a 200. I use a 24-70 2.8 and find that just fine. Enjoy.

Chris, how long are you there for and I assume you're driving. I lived and went to school in Skye. I'd take all your kit including tripod. As said above, The Black Cuillin are fantastic (if clear), and spooky if covered in cloud. They don't call it the Misty Isle for no reason. The Old Man of Storr which as you're probably aware is a pinnacle around 160 feet high. It's worth a walk/scramble up to as the rock formations there are brilliant. The same goes for the Quiraing, about 5 miles north from there. I'd hire a longer prime, at least a 200. I use a 24-70 2.8 and find that just fine. Enjoy.

Up for 3 days and planning to take all my kit with me - I had been concerned that a 24-70 might not be wide enough and have been looking at 16-35 lenses - looking to get a hold of if not a longer prime then at least a longer zoom for the weekend.

I have an 8-15 fisheye which is too much of an ultra WA up there. As I said I found the 24-70 just fine but if you have doubts then I'd get another wider lens just to be safe.

I have an 8-15 fisheye which is too much of an ultra WA up there. As I said I found the 24-70 just fine but if you have doubts then I'd get another wider lens just to be safe.

Cheers Bruce - I've got a cracking Sigma 35mm f1.4 - I think a Nikon 16-35 with that might work well - struggling to get hold of a 24-70 before I head for the weekend!

I'm just back from Skye. I spent last week there and used both a 16-35 and 24-120 for about 99% of my shots on my D800.

24-70 is a good lens, I use mine a lot, 24 is plenty wide enough if you compose properly.

I'm back for a Rannoch Moor shoot, and I have a Ziess 21mm. Most of them I will crop, and there was only once scene at Loch Lomond where 24 wasn't wide enough.

Spent 2 weeks in Scotland in February just shoting landscapes. 90% were taken with 24-70 and the odd shot with 70-200, I had the 14-24 but dont think I even put it on the camera.
If you need to go wider then try a panorama?

Back