It’s probably time to update the iMac- what now?

Kind of, as apps (incl OS) get more complex via updates they demand better hardware. So there will be a noticeable slowdown over years, unless sticking to the same software versions originally installed.

A clean install is also imo a decent start and keeping the SSD free for only boot drive and apps. If its still to slow, then its time to move on.

PC development has slowed down massively since about 2012 and that effect is not seen in PC`s the same as mobile phones and tablets where things are still moving on fast.

The computer I built in 2012 with an i7-2600K and 16gb ddr3 ram would still easily beat a brand new mid-range laptop for example.

PC development has slowed down massively since about 2012 and that effect is not seen in PC`s the same as mobile phones and tablets where things are still moving on fast.

The computer I built in 2012 with an i7-2600K and 16gb ddr3 ram would still easily beat a brand new mid-range laptop for example.

Yeah, but thats not what I was saying. Lightroom CC is far more demanding than Lightroom 3 was. So if the OP has updated their software they are unlikely to see the same performance on the same machine on day 1 by doing a clean install 5-10 years later.

In 2012 the 2600K was a beast, in some ways it still is, I know, I also have one, but I recently updated for similar money I spent on the 2600K build and my new machine is noticeably better, how can it not be. Things move on and its expected.

Last edited:
Kind of, as apps (incl OS) get more complex via updates they demand better hardware. So there will be a noticeable slowdown over years, unless sticking to the same software versions originally installed.

A clean install is also imo a decent start and keeping the SSD free for only boot drive and apps. If its still to slow, then its time to move on.

I’m part way through a clean install. I’ve erase both the internal Mac hard drive and the external SSD. It’s nice to finally have them set up right and have the internal hard drive for storage. I’ve got a clean install of Mojave up and running. It’s actually been useful as I’m now using the APFS format for the SSD. I should be able to update to Catalina now too.

Now I’ve got time consuming task of finding and installing all of the previous software I used. At least I will be able to only install the software that I actually use!

All you have to do is get the computer back to like when it was new.
So re-install the operating system and don't keep any of the old information. ( a clean re-install )
All that should be on the hard drive is the newly installed operating system only.
It will run as fast as the day you bought it.
That is because the slowing down you experience is not the hardware, it is from a build up of junk on the hard drive ( usually from internet usage )
I know because I have done it dozens of times and every time they run like new no matter what age they are ( 20 year old ones I have done and run just like new again )

If you are running 20 year old hardware, then you are also running very year old software, and a machine that runs like new will still run like a 20 year old machine compared to today’s technology, the old saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it would leave everyone with black and white TVs and horse and carts.

If you are running 20 year old hardware, then you are also running very year old software, and a machine that runs like new will still run like a 20 year old machine compared to today’s technology, the old saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it would leave everyone with black and white TVs and horse and carts.

Yes I get it, that does happen but in general PC slowdown experienced is because hard drives become infected over time with adware, malware, viruses.
Doing what I suggested flushed them out and restores the PC to full speed again.

Of course yes over the years new software is harder to run but it is still well worth trying what I said before going out and spending hundreds on a new PC.

I’m part way through a clean install. I’ve erase both the internal Mac hard drive and the external SSD. It’s nice to finally have them set up right and have the internal hard drive for storage. I’ve got a clean install of Mojave up and running. It’s actually been useful as I’m now using the APFS format for the SSD. I should be able to update to Catalina now too.

Now I’ve got time consuming task of finding and installing all of the previous software I used. At least I will be able to only install the software that I actually use!
I would be very very careful about doing that, 32 bit apps have been ditched with Catalina, so make sure yours are all 64 bit, especially the ones you need.
Go to about this Mac, system report and then look at the applications list, it will tell you what apps are installed and which are 32 / 64 bit.

I would be very very careful about doing that, 32 bit apps have been ditched with Catalina, so make sure yours are all 64 bit, especially the ones you need.
Go to about this Mac, system report and then look at the applications list, it will tell you what apps are installed and which are 32 / 64 bit.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve had a look, all my applications are 64 bit so far. I had a problem that the Citrix receiver I use has failed when I update to Mojave. I’ve not yet updated by laptop until that issue is solved as it still works with my works remote log in.

I’d potentially consider a PC again but I’d need to consider a good screen as I don’t have one at present. Another option I’d consider is a laptop with docking station and screen.

I have used an iMac for 7 years I’m happy with them. This will be a long term purchase, most likely 8-10 years again so it’s got to last that time. I’m presently carrying out initial research into the options and what the potential cost is.

PLEASE NOTE: I DONT WANT THIS THREAD TURNING INTO A PC V MAC DEBATE. IT ISN'T ABOUT WHATS BETTER. ITS ABOUT HELPING SPEC A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT.

I've only skimmed this thread so apologies if this is out of line but.....I've just replaced my 2012 iMac with a PC. This was my 3rd Mac desktop over the course of >15 years so I'm familiar with their strengths :).

Based on some excellent advice I received on this forum I had built for me a PC that could fairly be described as "pretty quick" along with a glorious 32 inch Benq 4k monitor that to my eyes easily beats an 8 year old iMac screen. All up and deliberately over specifying some bits, it cost me a shade over 2K.

Making the change (once I got Win10 working) was surprisingly painless - Adobe from the Cloud, Office from the Cloud. Everything else freeware.

Back