In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Gotta say I love the Pogues.
...but who doesn't like Fairy tale of New York?
I'm not a fan of the Pogues myself but I agree that "Fairy Tale of New York" is very listenable to.

Mind you, I think Kirsty MacColl was the star turn in that song.

When I heard of Shane's passing, the first Pogue's song I thought of was Waltzing Matilda. Not just Shane's vocals, but the whole arrangement makes this, for me the definitive version of this song.

It seems the bookies are tipping Fairy tale of New York, as this years Christmas number one.
Lets just hope the radio stations have the balls to play the original. not the watered down snowflake version.

They are already playing the edited version, they were last year as well, don't want to offend anybody!

To be fair, neither did Shane McGowan - he sanctioned the "snowflaking".

I woudn't be surprised if it got to No 1, Kirsty MacColl died 23 years ago just 10-12 days before the date of Shane MacGowan's death. My first thoughts was that he was discharged to die at home, the most recent photo I saw of him, he looked like death.

They were a fantastic live act in the mid 80s, Sally MacLennane and Waltzing Matilda were two of my favourites. Along with Mark E Smith and Nick Cave he was one of my favourite song writers at that time.

Only just saw this thread, I always wondered how he survived so long but a sad loss, he was a great songwriter

Back