Iternet speed

The speed depends on varying factors such as telephone line quality and distance you are from the telephone exchange. You will pay for the 20Mb download speed but you will NEVER get that kind of speed especially as they have told you that you will only get 5Mb.

I have Sky broadband 20Mb but they told me I will only get around 6Mb download speed and I just tested using http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ and got 5.1Mb download and 0.65Mb upload speed. These tests will vary each time you do them depending on time of day and how many others sharing your service (contention ratio) are downloading at that particular time.

ADSL broadband basically means that the upload speed is a lot less than the download speed. if you check your package it will say something like 20Mb down and 1-2Mb upload or something similar.

Downloading is you getting information from the internet (eg downloading a web page or a song or video etc). Uploading is when you send something like an email or send something to a web page or upload information to a server etc. In general usage most people download lots more than they upload.

I recommend Sky broadband and although I'm paying for 20Mb and only get around 6Mb it will be the same with any other ISP supplying you ADSL over your phone line. Virgin dedicated digital connection is more realistic in terms of speed but not available everywhere.

How accurate is it?

614766323.png

I just did another test using speedtest.net and got the same results.
If you know how to access your modem/router management pages it also tells you on there your average download & upload speeds. Mine says Download 6.1 download and 0.76 upload. You can go to real time stats as well.

my speedtest results say 3.2 download speed and Im on 8!
it also says my ip is cable and wireless when im with orange, or does orange get it through C&W? i have entered my village and the results say server is london and it is 200 miles away.. but its only about 25!!! :thinking:

Thats the thing about internet speeds. Different groups are trying to do things about it because no one gets their paid for speed (a few may but not many). It is an UP TO speed which in reality is a bit of a kop out/sales crap..!!

One day we will pay for our REAL speed but until things change we are stuck with this bull****** and not a lot we can do about it I'm afraid.

Still, its a lot better than the dial up days of 10 yrs ago...!!!

Back