It's no wonder people use the net to by gear.

S

Sean_Mcr

Well i'm after an expodisc. I 've been in town today looking for one, not a single shop had one, two Jessops, one Jacobs, the London camera exchange and Walden's. Not a sausage:shrug:

Are they actually available in retail outlets?

Never seen them in the shops. You tried them before? Just wondering how effective they are, they're fairly pricey if I remember correctly.

TBH I rarely buy anything from the high street these days, it only leads to frustration, mood swings and anger;) Never have what you want - even simple things like lens caps, buy everything online now, just like I found with IT equipment suppliers along time ago - its quicker, cheaper, easier (y)

Have you tried WarehouseExpress, or even Jessops.co.uk ?

Me too.

I only bought my body because Jessops was a price match, and my previous grip and bag from Fotosense because they were the cheapest (and I'm local to them).

Everything else I've bought online.

Never really buy from stores, be it camera parts or PC components.

Although saying that, Scan are very local to me, so it wouldn't be too bad.

If the local price is reasonable and the staff are helpfull then I'll buy from them.

but.....

Unfortunately these condition are rarely met :(

I don't think I have anything of higher value than a filter off the internet for my photography.

My local high street store matches the main net retailers without even me even bothering to ask.

I try to buy kit from the local LCE as they're generally very good on prices :) Though i don't buy all that much at the moment! :(

Never seen them in the shops. You tried them before? Just wondering how effective they are, they're fairly pricey if I remember correctly.

Well they're not cheap but they are very good. They capture the light transmitting 18% of it through to the sensor. The can be used with most filters, the wb must be taken with the filter already on. You would need to reset the wb if you were to remove or change filters. They collect light from 180 degrees , mixing all available light incident & reflective.

They can of course be used to determine correct exposure to.

I'm just going to buy a 72mm, which will clip on to my 135 and 35mm, and simply place it over my 50 & 85. Which is what Michael Reichmann recommends on luminous landscape

i've used an expodisc, and still swear by the coffee filter ;) you get absolutely loads in a pack for a few pounds and does the exact same job IME ;)

024.jpg

CWB set with a coffee filter :)

Tom.

EDIT: btw i literally mean a coffee filter, as in:
coffeefilter.jpg

Hi Tom

I was using a white sheet of paper the other day, and of course there is the old grey card
66582246.a47RVHel.H2.jpg

But then i had no expodisc to compare to. It's also the ease of use and the accuracy, they do allow you to meter for incident light, which is good me as i shoot in low levels of available light quite often. So one disc for all my lenses, will last me years, save me carrying around cards ect and save time on pp (which i don't enjoy)

Well captured by the way

Hi Tom

I was using a white sheet of paper the other day, and of course there is the old grey card
66582246.a47RVHel.H2.jpg

But then i had no expodisc to compare to. It's also the ease of use and the accuracy, they do allow you to meter for incident light, which is good me as i shoot in low levels of available light quite often. So one disc for all my lenses, will last me years, save me carrying around cards ect and save time on pp (which i don't enjoy)

Well captured by the way

oh you use the coffee filter in EXACTLY the same way as you use the expodisc, cover the lens with it :) I'm considering buying a cheap UV filter and making an expodisc style thing out of a coffee filter :)

Dunce question - Does WB matter at all if your shooting raw? Ive always left mine auto and tweaked in conversion if required.

I suppose not if you shoot RAW, BUT then you still have to rely on grey card shots, white in your image etc, to make sure it's right during PP.

And if you can get it spot on at the time of shooting.......;)

Back