I've got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
I have my new toy in my hands right now....

Yep, a shiny new D200!

First impression? Solid!

As they didn't have the lens in stock, I'm going to have to wait until I get home to take some pics.

The menu system is much improved over the D70 and the whole feel of the camera (especially the 'navigation' button) is far superior.

The screen is excellent quality, although I thought it was really bad at first as the plastic sheet covering the screen protector is clear enough to make you think it's not there, but not completely clear, meaning everything looks like it has lines through it!

The battery is currently charging on the train as I type (in the socket clearly marked 'For Mobile Phones and Laptops Only!).. should be done by the time I get home :)

Can't wait to try it out.. once I have some pics, I will try and post some.

Congratulations Chez!! :thumb:

Pics and stuff needed ASAP - it's the law! :rules:

Ooooh. Christmas come early :) . When do you get the new lens ?

DJW - hopefully early next week.

First off, I've been home for less than half an hour and so far I'm blown away by the handling and build quality of this camera..simply stunning..

I have taken some shots of a cup (!) with my 70-200mm F2.8 VR lens to give an idea of image quality.

I used a custom white balance (using a piece of white paper to set it).

I shot these as fine JPEGs and have done no processing on them at all except to run them through Irfanview to resive them.

For this first batch, I tested out the performance at higher ISOs as there has been a lot of talk about this.

I took a comparison shot of the cup at ISO200 to show what it is capable of (ISO100 was not possible in my dimly lit lounge without flash).

Pics can be found here -

http://richard-chesterton.com/Photos/D200/Cup/

If anyone would like to see some specific settings tested or particular types of shots, or know anything specific about the camera/my opinion on a specific feature, just shout ;)

I will try to get some pics of a more interesting/testing subject up later (I suspect I will be playing with my new toy for some time :))

Chez

Looks good.

Do any other 20D owners think that the Canon's high-ISO handling might be slightly better, though?

I guess I'm biased but that looks like more noise than I'm used to at 1600 and even 3200 (with NR off, I mean).

Obviously I'm just going on the resized images. Would probably need to see the hi-res originals (or 100% crops) to tell.

I've added a couple of 'Noisewared' pics to that link.. basically the NR Off pics run through Noisware Pro (rather than in-camera NR)

Also uploading the originals (full size) to the 'Originals' folder on that link...should be there in about 12 minutes ;)

At first glance the noise looked similar to the 20D to me.

Here is a 100% crop from a picture of something I'm working on currently....

3200_100_crop.jpg

3200 ISO + fairly dim room light.

nice examples Chez, Special cup you got there, standard issue was it??:);)

Right..having used it a bit more, some comments to add..

There have been concerns over the AF module and how much of an improvement it would be over the D70... It's lightning fast on all the sensors I have tested so far..

The D70 would often fail to find focus in less than ideal conditions using the outer sensors...the D200 has shocked me with how quick it is!

The AF with non AF-S lenses is far, far quicker than the D70 too.

The 5fps burst is frankly frightening the first time you use it! lol

Also, the viewfinder blackout is very, very short.. much shoerter than the D70.

It all sounds mighty nice, just as I expected when I first started reading the specs just after it was announced. I am really pleased for you and for Nikon. Its good for them and for Canon that they have produced something that will push the competition forward. Both camps will benefit in the long term, and for me that should make everyone happy.

I look forward to seeing some real world photos from this beast :)

Steve said:
It all sounds mighty nice, just as I expected when I first started reading the specs just after it was announced. I am really pleased for you and for Nikon. Its good for them and for Canon that they have produced something that will push the competition forward. Both camps will benefit in the long term, and for me that should make everyone happy.

I look forward to seeing some real world photos from this beast :)

Here here :) Too much crap about Nikon V Canon.

Congrats Chez, looks like a beauty. :smilenod:

Pleased for you Chez, looking forward to seeing some great shots. :thumb:

Nice one Chez, How about a pic of your new setup.. :)

I took a few comparison pics of D70/D200 for someone -

http://richard-chesterton.com/Photos/D200/D70

Pretty bad quality as they were taken with the only other camera left in the house! lol

Thanks for the comments guys...I completely agree about the Nikon v Canon thing...now that Nikon have the D200 out, both brands offer a great range..with a lot to offer on both sides..

AS was said above, the release of the D200 can only push technology forward/prices down...

Certainly appears to have a very large LCD :)

Congratulations, looks like a great camera, sorry 2 x great cameras..

The larger screen format is pretty well standard across all new marques now and it does make a big difference to assessing your shots. The larger menu fonts are nice too.

Nikon 5uX0r, Canon rUlez, canon canon canon, Nvidia over ATi every day of the week, Pepsi kicks coke ass and Epson make canon look like pen-art pictures.....:)

Nothing contentious there then Matty. :laugh1:

EosD said:
Nikon 5uX0r, Canon rUlez, canon canon canon, Nvidia over ATi every day of the week, Pepsi kicks coke ass and Epson make canon look like pen-art pictures.....:)

Yep and the Ford Fiesta is better than the Bugatti Veyron ;)

EosD said:
ATI > Nvidia.

Coke > Pepsi.

:(

Jonny said:
ATI > Nvidia.

Coke > Pepsi.

:(

duuuuhhhhhhhh

The ATi only does Trilinear filtering when the sun is exactly entering the 4th phase of the moon, unlike the Nvidia which gently massages your feet while you sleep!

if i can be bothered i will take screen shots of the exact same scene on ati and nvidia cards and then post a 100% crop so you can see the difference, cos when your playing a game at 60fps your really bothered about that kind of thing.....:hissyfit: :ponders: ..i'm sorry....wrong forum:confused:

EosD said:
duuuuhhhhhhhh

The ATi only does Trilinear filtering when the sun is exactly entering the 4th phase of the moon, unlike the Nvidia which gently massages your feet while you sleep!

if i can be bothered i will take screen shots of the exact same scene on ati and nvidia cards and then post a 100% crop so you can see the difference, cos when your playing a game at 60fps your really bothered about that kind of thing.....:hissyfit: :ponders: ..i'm sorry....wrong forum:confused:

Where's that splitting my sides, guts falling out laughing smiley :D

Canons are an area denial weapon, used for the long-range suppression of the enemy. Canon-operators are loutish fellows with primary-school educations who like making big noises and frightening civilised folk. They grow beards in the mistaken belief that it makes them look more 'grown-up'. Goerge Lucas has a Canon.
A typical 'blunt weapon' in other words...

Nikon's are more akin to a surgeon's scalpel, used for precision work by highly skilled individuals who are deeply committed to their trade. Men and women who value quality and who are not swayed by the shiny, plastic tartiness of the Canon.
A Nikon is an instrument. A Canon is a bludgeon.

Arkady said:
Canons are an area denial weapon, used for the long-range suppression of the enemy. Canon-operators are loutish fellows with primary-school educations who like making big noises and frightening civilised folk. They grow beards in the mistaken belief that it makes them look more 'grown-up'. Goerge Lucas has a Canon.
A typical 'blunt weapon' in other words...

Nikon's are more akin to a surgeon's scalpel, used for precision work by highly skilled individuals who are deeply committed to their trade. Men and women who value quality and who are not swayed by the shiny, plastic tartiness of the Canon.
A Nikon is an instrument. A Canon is a bludgeon.

Yeah but just say the two words to yourself.

"Nikon"....try saying it without sounding like you're a Manchester scally.
"Canon"...now there's a manly word, it sounds gruff, strong, virile, manly and macho. It suggests a brand of honour, of masculinity, of pure strength and....you get the picture

(Just ignore the girlie size of the 350 ;))

Have you shaved today - sounds like you're trying to grow a beard...manly...gruff...lol

It's all true you know. Entered "Canon Photographer" in Google images & got this :-
caveman.gif

Doesn't he realise he's not supposed to carry his kit by the lens !!! ;)

Thats a picture OF a Canon photographer rushing to stop a potential Nikon cutomer from making a big mistake :smilenod:

Back