I've taking stills for over 10 years, but as a new father I want to start capturing video..

Edit My Images
Yes
My current camera, Fuji X100, has served me well for photos until now.

However having a 6 month year old, I'm hankering to log these memories in a more interactive format.

The Fuji X100 does not seem to have the AF capable of capturing even a static baby.

I'm considering going back to Canon and would like you advice!

Option 1) Canon 100D. It's got the newer continuous AF with 65% sensor coverage. Paired with an STM lens it seems to hold up OK. £330 new
Option 2) Canon 70D. Seems to be the market leader for DSLR video due to the newer dual pixel AF?
Option 3) Canon 6D, video AF seems to be sub-par, but would give me a static photo boost due to full frame.

I'm a big proponent of 'good enough'. If the 100D would let me capture decent video of the little one, thats fine. But would the 70D make the whole experience that much better?

Lens is less of a question, I'd pickup the 40MM 2.8 STM and 18-55MM STM regardless of body.

Appreciate your thoughts, especially if you have solved this riddle of capturing good video of your children.

Thanks

Not sure if you would want to try this out but I recently bought an EOS-M with 18-55 kit lens and made up a rig based on a superb post on the EOS M thread.
Very inexpensive way of achieving a really lightweight video system without a huge outlay. Worth a look anyway.

Thanks, I just spent 3 hours reading threads and watching videos on the EOS-M! :)

Certainly seems like a lot of (video) camera for the money. The poor AF puts me off a lot though, the x100 struggles with AF in low light, and thats one of the reasons I'm looking to change.

Grab a used Sony A5100? It has brilliant auto focus and great video codec. You can also tap to focus and it follows the action pretty well. I used it a lot over the X-mas holidays to capture my little one playing. The kit lens has stabilisation which works well to avoid major shakes.

I ended up getting the 70D and 10-18mm. Really impressed with the autofocus for video. However low light performance is not great, especially with the lens I have.

Going to pick up the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and see if that improves things.

Thanks, I just spent 3 hours reading threads and watching videos on the EOS-M! :)

Certainly seems like a lot of (video) camera for the money. The poor AF puts me off a lot though, the x100 struggles with AF in low light, and thats one of the reasons I'm looking to change.
Fair point, it was pretty slow but with firmware update 2.0.2 that was significantly improved and with Magic Lantern software added, some really good features to aid video on the M.

I thought I would bump this thread with an update for folks in the same boat. Needing to capture videos of little ones must be a common problem these days.

I got a faster lens for the 70D but it was very noisy with video auto focus. As much as the 70D was amazing for continuous auto focus, the quality of the image out of the body, especially in low light was pretty poor for a £1000 body + lens combination.

I then spent 2-3 weeks shooting only on my iPhone 6 and was pretty happy with the results, but again as you can imagine, things fall a part as soon as you are indoors with only one lamp etc

Fast forward to today, I've had a Sony A7S for 48 hours and first impression are good. It can replace my X100 for still image, and the high ISO videos is impressive. Once the wallet recovers from shock I'll post up a sample.

Panasonic are supposedly very good for video and lenses are uber quiet.
Don't video myself, but its what I read while making the change to mft.

Yeah the GH4 is right up there as an A7s competitor. Very well loved in videography circles. A7S offers the better low light, so I went in that direction. GH4 with a speedbooster is now slouch though.

There are 2 ways of fixing the sound caused by autofocus motors.

Shoot MOS
Focus by hand.

I would have thought that the 18-135mm STM would have been very handy for video on the 70D. Not tried it myself though, purely speculation on my part.

I got a faster lens for the 70D but it was very noisy with video auto focus. As much as the 70D was amazing for continuous auto focus, the quality of the image out of the body, especially in low light was pretty poor for a £1000 body + lens combination.
I am one of those in the same boat and I also have a Canon 70D, but without the kit lens and wanted to invest in a lens that would be good for shooting video.

Does anyone have other suggestions for a lens worth trying? (That is less than £500.)

Last edited:
Any of the STM lens would be worth a shot, what sort of videography do you want to do? The 10-18 was great for outdoors family candid shots.

Right now nothing too advanced, its likely to be well lit stuff, during the day, indoors and out, friends and family gathering. Sounds like the 10-18 will be ideal for my needs.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Back