Jacobs!

Name
Matt Wright
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone bought things from Jacobs before? Do they use Grey Imports and is there customer service good? What about delvery time?

Cheers
Matt

been into there shop in Newcastle a fair few times, the other half got her coolpix from there, the gloke that served us was only happy to help, dead friendly and knew what he was talking about

the other halfs dad has spent fortunes in there to. never had a problem with them

I've just brought a new camera bag from them. Excellent service.

Ive also used them and I have no complaints, very helpful and polite.

Used them twice now with no problems. Ordered on Monday this week, turned up today.

bought a load of developing stuff this week in Nottingham, very helpful.

Bought all kinds from the Liverpool and Manchester shops. Always had great service.

they have been very helpful to me and know there stuff. I rather spend the little extra for complete re-assurance

I use the Manchester branch nice set of lads.

Bought a sigma lens and other bits and peices from them, usually staffed by knowledgeable folk although there are of course staff who are learning and student workers that aren't bothered same as everywhere.

Usually reasonably priced and helpful.

I was recommended to Jacobs by an old tog friend and have never been let down by them. I use the Leicester branch, and phone when going over to 'release money' to make sure they have in what I want to have a look at and have always been treated well. I like the fact that I can go there and try out what I am interested in purchasing first.

I've purchased both my camera bodies, all lenses, studio lights and lowpro stuff from them and would recommend them without hesitation (y)(y)

And no, I don't work there!

Ordered a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and 1.7TC off them as they were both showing in stock. Later that day received an e-mail saying they were both out of stock. Their web-site was showing them still as in stock and they'd taken the cash off my credit card so I dropped them an e-mail asking what the ETA was and got a boilerplate response which told me nothing. Surprisingly the 70-200 actually turned up the next day, despite their previous e-mail.

Almost a week later both lens and TC are *still* showing as in stock so I tell them to cancel the TC. Two phone calls later (where they try to convince me to hang on as they're coming in 'tomorrow') and they finally cancel the TC. Rubbish. Ordered a TC from onestop-digital.com which saved me 50 quid and arrived within four days from HK.

Shan't be bothering with Jacobs again.

Jessops and Jacobs started here in Leicester many years ago (I think! :)) and have been going many years. Jessops have just closed their big store but are left with two or three smaller shops and Jacobs have two stores still operating (in the county). Always found them ok. Used to enjoy their secondhand stuff but b*gger all now in the shops. Store prices a little expensive and staff now are mainly just staff that could be employed anywhere...the photo enthusiast geeks that used to be in the stores of the 70's and 80's have mostly gone. They could be helpful or else you had those types that knew their stuff but hadn't a clue how to communicate with other humans! :LOL:

Last edited:
I've used both the Manchester and Liverpool branches and they were really knowledgeable and helpful.

I used Jacobs this week to get my first DSLR.
I phoned in advance to ask if they had any offers on the 450D. They told me 10% off, I asked him to doubly confirm this, he said yep. So asked him to put one aside in my name.

Went to store, a different person showed me the camera, was very helpful. So we went to ring up the price and it didn't come to what I was told on the phone. Turned out the person who had doubly confirmed it to me had made a mistake and got it wrong, they admitted this. So it put it back to the same price as most places. So they still knocked more off than they had on offer for it, (not 10%) and threw in a UV filter & a Sandisk 4gb III for £10 only, plus 2 years warranty instead of 1.

I was still really annoyed, as I'd made the journey into town especially after having the price confirmed. But I came away with a deal better than most at the time for the same model (excluding the Out of Stock Boots offer).

Ordered a Manfrotto 190XPROB off their website...came quickly...one of the springs has broken on the leg clips, I have emailed them twice to find out if they can source a replacement and I've not had any reply.
Shall be trying to email them again tomorrow and then will phone in the week...needless to say not that impressed...but will wait to see if it gets sorted...

I've bought loads of stuff from Jacobs, both at the London (New Oxford Street) store and online. No complaints at all. The staff in both the store and the call centre are knowledgeable and helpful. If there's ever a discrepancy beween the web price and the store price (a practice I think they've stopped now, thankfully), they've always agreed to match their web price in store. Their web site gives accurate stock levels and their delivery is invariably next-day. Absolutely first class.

And their prices tend to be very very competitive these days, too.

Well my only experience of them was in the past week or so when I ordered the Nikon 50mm AF-S 1.4. It was "In Stock" on their website, so I ordered it. Today, a week later, I called them asking where it was only to be told it was out of stock. Apparently the "In Stock" on the website referred to the fact stock was available for their stores, there was actually ZERO stock available for their website. :(

Not great but then again a lot of online stores have dodgy stock indicators. If you're buying online, call them first to check stock levels.

Well my only experience of them was in the past week or so when I ordered the Nikon 50mm AF-S 1.4. It was "In Stock" on their website, so I ordered it. Today, a week later, I called them asking where it was only to be told it was out of stock. Apparently the "In Stock" on the website referred to the fact stock was available for their stores, there was actually ZERO stock available for their website. :(

Not great but then again a lot of online stores have dodgy stock indicators. If you're buying online, call them first to check stock levels.

I am also unhappy with their service, I ordered a bag from them and the only confirmation relating to the purchase was from the card processing service, nothing from Jacobs I sent an email to them asking for confirmation that the order was being processed, it was ignored. I eventually rang them up about the order and they claimed they had emailed confirmation, advising that I check my spam filter, there was no confirmation there either. The assistant then said they had to enquire as to which branch had stock and it will not be sent out until Monday at the earliest.

On checking my emails shortly after the call there is an email from Jacobs stating the bag is on backorder!!!.

Not good!!!.

Yes, for the order I cancelled the only proof I had was an email from the payment processing company.

It seems their stores are good, their website operation, not so good.

I might just cancel as I can order the same bag from Amazon for only £2 more and know it will be in stock.

Edit, cancelled !! will order from Amazon who offer much better service.

Last edited:
Sometime ago now, but I've bought from the Newcastle & Liverpool shops, had good service at both, would certainly use again.

My recent experience of Jacobs web site is.... items in stock at good prices, card charged immediately. After a week, no communication, make phone call... "it will be 2-3 days sir". I cancelled and my card was refunded.

I've always heard good things about the in store service, but this was not a great online shopping experience.

I gave them my opinion of their online service and "after sales" service, citing that as the reason for cancelling.

I would rather pay more for better service, at least with Amazon you get instant confirmation and you are able to track your item.

So their online service is a definite :thumbsdown: for me and I will never use them again.

Last edited:
I phoned today enquiring about the Nikkor 24-70 2.8, just checking that it was "in stock" as stated on the site, but they had nothing and wouldn't expect any for a month. getting sick of companies taking your money fulling knowing they can't offer you the goods and not keeping the website up-to-date with stock levels, even after a month of being out of stock on some items I have tried to purchase from other companies too. It is extremely bad practice in todays climate imo.

Last edited:
I would not advise using their online service,they do not confirm orders, they fail to answer emails and are not very helpful on the phone !!I have cancelled my order via email and over the phone and am still waiting for confirmation!!

Back