James (B&W or Colour)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I had better start posting more than just bird shots. So here's one of my son, James aged 3, which was taken last week.

Colour or B&W, tighter crop or not?

james.jpg

james-at-warwick-castle-B_amp_W.jpg

Nice catch-lights again Mark ! For me the B & W does not work so well ... lack of good contrast I think ?

I think that the b ad w is better. Can you photoshop out the bogie is this is drawing my eye?

Very good picture.

Diego Garcia said:
I think that the b ad w is better. Can you photoshop out the bogie is this is drawing my eye?

Very good picture.

That's the first thing I saw as well. The human mind eh......

Either works, but *gulp* I think the colours & tones in the colour shot work really well. Amazing how the B&W brings out a completely different feel/emotion to shot.

DJW said:
Either works, but *gulp* I think the colours & tones in the colour shot work really well. Amazing how the B&W brings out a completely different feel/emotion to shot.
Falls off chair, barely managing to post bogeyless version on the way :)

james-at-warwick-castle-B_amp_W---original-colour-%232.jpg

LOL.... I did notice after double check that you had a different crop on B&W, which made head seem bigger in shot. Preferred colour crop. Anyway had a go myself with Mono.......... People conversions are not my forte but here goes :-

james.jpg

CM - 40% Red & Green 60% to get tones right.
Applied dual tone of grey
Cropped dark shadow from right.

Phew, prefer the B&W now ;)

Red1.jpg

Split channels to RGB and used red channel pic. Adjusted for contrast.

I still think the colour version is nice on this one.

Doh... No I didn't split channels... that's the pic I was working on when I broke off to look at your shot Dave. It was a straight Greyscale conversion and adjusted for contrast.

Back