Review Jessops MAJOR carbon Fibre Tripod

Name
urrrm.... Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I don't often write these reviews but I thought that the community has given me so much I should give something back.

The cliff-notes of this are that this is a negative review.

carbon fibre tripod, including a pan-tilt head for the lovely total of £89 on the high-street.
less than 2kg in weight I thought it was a bit of a bargain . Also it has some great features.
so my experience can be summed up here in 3 bullet points.

purchased and when I hoped to test-drive it before a gig I noticed a pin on the head was missing. In fact it wasn't. The 2ndary handy was screwed into the first and as a fairly novice tripod user I didn't notice this. Neither was this mentioned in the instructions and neither did the chap at Jessops know until I took a deductive leap from seeing the display model again. :bonk:

Took it to shoot a friends prom...and the vertical column screw-thread broke on my first use. a free-spinning and non adjustable column.
So I took it back for a replacement. The parts in question are a lower quality plastic than I would have liked.

The 2nd one was better I thought. But when using it, the 2nd screw on the speed-release plate came out of its housing and wouldn't go back in. Maybe it's just me but I really couldn't get the camera to secure.

Back to the shop and I obtained a refund.

Popped down the road and for £99 I now have an aluminium alloy Vanguard Alta which seems fairly good but a touch heavier.

My conclusion is that the tripod (the ones I saw ) were plagued by cheaper plastics and quality control than I would like to see, or designs which were flawed for a fairly novice user like myself.

The staff at Jessops were pretty good, apart from one chap who thought that the tripod only came with a 3 months retail warranty...what?
and the chap that said "we've sold LOADS of these and not had any problems".....then 20 seconds later "does it come with a carry bag?? that's nice. I didn't realise"

Anyway, no pictures, but not recommended. A redsnapper offer code might be better for something similar.

the good thing is that as a highstreet shop you can take it right back, should it break
but these two points, I found to be weak in the models I had, so I would test them out heavily in the first month and definitely before you need it !! I didn't :(
My alternate was a Vangaurd Alta 263 and having tried it twice now I'm happy with my £99 purchase.

Back