JIS Screwdrivers

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
I can maintain cameras, to a degree. I can usually get them back into service if they are not too bad. However, I'm thinking now that I'd like to expand on that a little with a proper tool kit. Particularly a good set of micro screwdrivers. Any recommendations you can give me? I've been looking at sets from a company called Polar Bear Cameras. But it's a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.

I don't have any experience with the smaller JIS screwdrivers but have got a set for working on my Japanese car and they are a revelation.

Can't see that, I'm afraid. :(

Many sets come with ones you will never use.
Most film cameras seem to be flat head, and most digital cameras seem to be cross head.
There are five sizes of flat head I always use, about .7mm, 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm and 3mm (can measure them if it is needed) and two sizes of cross head.
Other sizes are covered by "standard" screwdrivers, some filed thinner.

Other essentials are a lens spanner, fine point tweezers straight and angled, correct lubricants, LED ring light, head mounted magnifier, needle nose pliers, etc

I would avoid ones with a plastic handle one of my most used sizes the bit has started turning in the handle. Had several do it in the past too.
I don't like the ones with changeable bits, I find they are too fat.
On the smaller sizes it is also useful to have some with a long bit, about 2". Most are only about 1"

I have been looking fo a nice set of metal handled ones for a while now, and I agree it is not easy, especially as it seems many of the more expensive sets are just re-packaged cheaper sets, now going to try some I like the look of grip wise, and be prepared to file the tip to shape (most are just to thick)

Would be interested to know what you choose :)

The Vessel branded set from the big river seems to have good reviews but I have no experience of them personally. What I DO have personal experience of is the frustration of trying to remove JIS headed screws using Phillip's or Pozidrive drivers, so IMO the investment in the correct bits is well worth it!

Can't see that, I'm afraid. :(
Polar Bear only seem to have the larger screwdriver in this style, the +0 but for me it's too large. I like the size of the handles and the length, for me it's very easy to hold steady while exerting sufficient downforce to avoid jumping out of the screw head when working on screws where thread-lock has been used, e.g. the three screws holding the bayonet mount on some Olympus Zuiko lenses.

Below are the two sets I have along with the current victim, the Vessel on the left, used all the time for the +00 size, and an American Moody set, rarely used unless I want a smaller size than +00.
IMG_7540.jpeg
A picture of the two Vessel tips, +0 on left top and +00 on left bottom and on the right tips of the two smallest Moody screwdrivers, along with an Olympus OM base plate screw for scale.
IMG_7537.jpeg

The Vessel branded set from the big river seems to have good reviews but I have no experience of them personally. What I DO have personal experience of is the frustration of trying to remove JIS headed screws using Phillip's or Pozidrive drivers, so IMO the investment in the correct bits is well worth it!
Yes, using Phillips or Pozidrive will almost invariably result in chewed up heads and is an exercise in frustration. The profiles are different and a Phillips or Pozidrive won't sit correctly and mate with the sides of the screw head. This page shows the differences in profile.

Vessel tools are great - if I can't get a Vessel, I'd go for Hozan. Both well regarded in Japan where the general vibe for tools is quality & how it feels in your hand.

Those that I've not bought in Japan have some from the South American river place or sellers in Japan on eBlag

Polar Bear only seem to have the larger screwdriver in this style, the +0 but for me it's too large. I like the size of the handles and the length, for me it's very easy to hold steady while exerting sufficient downforce to avoid jumping out of the screw head when working on screws where thread-lock has been used, e.g. the three screws holding the bayonet mount on some Olympus Zuiko lenses.

Below are the two sets I have along with the current victim, the Vessel on the left, used all the time for the +00 size, and an American Moody set, rarely used unless I want a smaller size than +00.
View attachment 387329
A picture of the two Vessel tips, +0 on left top and +00 on left bottom and on the right tips of the two smallest Moody screwdrivers, along with an Olympus OM base plate screw for scale.
View attachment 387330

Ah, I can see it now. Quick change of browsers. :D

Back