Jo, in B&W (another version added)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I had the urge to do some B&W conversions today. First picture I thought of was this lovely shot of Jo, I hope you think it works in black & white - it's the first time I have done this seriously.

(Click image for larger version)

Any C&C or advice on BW conversion would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Steve

Last edited:
I might burn in the background a little more to give a little more subject isolation (mainly around where the flowers and hair intersect). Also the image is a little soft, but that has nothing to do with the BW conversion.

Overal nice image.

I might burn in the background a little more to give a little more subject isolation (mainly around where the flowers and hair intersect). Also the image is a little soft, but that has nothing to do with the BW conversion.

Overal nice image.

Doesn't look soft on my monitor.....

Can you enlighten me on " burn in the background a little more", is that to make it brighter or darker ?

Steve

Gosh, you've really made me look good in this shot! Thank you so much :D

Not 'soft' at all

Whites are handled really well too

For an on camera flash (or at least very close I presume?) I think you did a good job here

DD

Cheers Dave,

Yes, on camera flash, all in manual, using my own "home made" diffuser system....

Didn't think it was soft, had me worried for a minute.....

Steve

Cheers Dave,

Yes, on camera flash, all in manual, using my own "home made" diffuser system....

Didn't think it was soft, had me worried for a minute.....

Steve

You know that in the studio environment you use the light source usually above and to the left/right of the subject - well you can do the same with a Speedlight too, it's a bit more awkward but get a sync lead and simply hold it at arm's length above and 30-45 degrees to one side

Had you done that with this shot, holding it to your left, I think it would have improved it quite a bit

(y)

DD

I picked up an off shoe cable the other week but not had a chance to try it out yet...

Steve

Eh?

How long does it take to put on? :LOL:

You're not a Canon user by any chance? That would explain it

:D

DD

I can see why people fall out with you.... Know what I mean ? :LOL:

I haven't had reason/the opportunity to use it. Is that better ? :razz:

Steve

I've had another go, giving it some different treatment...

Better or not ?

Click image for larger version

Cheers....

Steve

Nice photo, both of them, your second attempt is better in my humble option. The model seems to stand out more from the background. Look forward to meeting up with you on Saturday at the studio.

After much deliberating I've found I like them both but I think the 2nd one just about wins for me. Contrast seems to have added nicer detail to the face.

First one for me definitley (on my monitor anyway, which is set up pretty pretty good).

Lovely model, and the more subtle and delicate tones of the first one just suit her more if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Back