Joining the full frame club

Good Lord guys what happened to this thread :D

On another note, when I get my 5D, should I put a UV filter on my lens? Please discuss...

*Goes off to PM Arkady* :naughty:

:LOL:

I'll have another go at reading the 3 pages that appeared since I last checked this thread when my eyes stop bleeding (y) :D

Chris

+1... it was only 2 pages when I checked last night.. :D

I tried to read.. but it gets a bit :bonk: I think

Just carried out a clean on the focus screen after stripping it out of my 5D.
It is quite straight forward but you do need a small phillips magnetic screwdriver.
Here is how it is done easy peezie.:)(y)

http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/

OK, so if magnification is the right term, what's the magnification of a 100mm lens? (hint - it doesn't have one ;)).

A lot of people struggle with this though, I come up against it often in my line of work. Even moving your eye closer to the medium on which the image is viewed changes the ultimate magnification.

Thinking in terms of Field Of View (FOV) is far better. A crop sensor has a smaller FOV than a FF sensor, given that all the other variables in the system are fixed. Subject distance to imaging plane, viewing size of rendered imaging plane and distance of eye to said imaging plane. The result of all of this is subject in magnified to the viewer.

Magnification for cameras

Optical magnification = distance from lens to image / distance from lens to object

M=Di/Do

Magnification for telescopes (simple)
Angular magnification = focal length of objective / focal length of eyepiece

AM=f(o)/f(e) - this is a little crude, and knowing the size of the telescopes entrance and exit pupils is the real measure - as this gives true angular magnification

The crucial difference between these two definitions is that the first one (Magnification for Cameras) doesn't define the entire imaging system. The 'image' is that presented on the imaging plane of the camera (be it a sensor of a frame of film). This is correct and useful as the size at which that image is ultimately going to be rendered (on screen or in print) is not defined.

The second definition effectively encompasses the whole system, the image in this case is by definition that projected onto the retina when the telescope is held to the eye.

Anyone

Last edited:
Funny how nobody starts an "I'm about to join the APS-C club" isn't it.:thinking:

Just take your time & dont rush it.:)

Funny how nobody starts an "I'm about to join the APS-C club" isn't it.:thinking:

well you do have people that switch back to aps-c from full frame and mention it - mainly due to wanting their lenses to be longer i think

I think everyone wants their lenses to be longer :naughty:

Back