Jupiter rings

I can never see it through binoculars! Keep shaking :)

That's very good indeed (y)

Come on surely you can do better than that, after all on March the 8th it was only 365 million miles away at it's closest point to earth ;)

Seriously though that is a great shot and much better than my attempt with a sigma 150-500mm.

Thanks for comments

Always looking to do better, but still quite pleased with the result.

This shot was 1/40 second and ISO 200. No effective lens, as through a Newtonian telescope.

Jupiter was relatively high in the sky, so less refraction etc.

365 million miles, crikey..........:)

Just had a look at a Jupiter shot of mine that was shot with a Fuji X-T1 with the new 100-400 + 1.4x telecon, an EFL of 840mm. The bands are just about visible on that shot but I was actually trying to capture the moons. Thanks to this shot, I'll have another go, this time tripod mounted and with assorted exposures to try to capture the bands and moons.

P3190143 (2).JPG

Thanks for comments Carl.

I think to get both moons and bands on Jupiter you will have to merge the band photo, very fast exposure to the moons photo, quite slow exposure.

If I have better photo shop skills I might have done it.

Problem as I see it, is that the final shot of Jupiter is well cropped. The moons photo would have to be cropped to the same degree,

Of course the scale of the moon orbits makes Jupiter quite small anyway

I am sure its not too difficult for those who know how to use PS, which I don't...

Look forward to the result. Good luck

Mj

Last edited:
IMG_0229.JPG Had a quick go at Jupiter a couple of years ago. Only had a bridge camera but it's zoom is quite high, so helped. This thread has rekindled my interest in getting a decent shot of it, just need a clear night now :)

Last edited:
Back