Just a Dunny

Edit My Images
No
One from the garden today, I removed a load of clutter from the left hand side to clean the image up a bit.
7D + 300/2.8 + 1.4tc.

dunny1.jpg

Nice one, Roy.

I had my first go at catching a Dunny the other day. Very difficult to get close to and I still don't have a tripod :( I'll have to post it up later.

Nothing wrong with a dunny and this is a beaut Roy, lovely detail especially the eye. Its good to get them off the ground too. Well done (y)

Nice capture Roy, as Trev mentioned it is nice to get one off of the ground. I have a couple around the garden but they stay well tucked up in the undergrowth or in the Hawthorn. Strangely enough the one that was here last year was bold as brass:shrug:

A very nice capture of this Dunnock, i had one the other day some 10 feet away and up of the ground.
I was able to capture a very detailed image.
I like in your image the excellent eye contact which i think is very important in any bird photo, and you say that you cloned out some clutter leaving a nice open space for the bird to look into.

Best regards Paul

Nice one, Roy.

I had my first go at catching a Dunny the other day. Very difficult to get close to and I still don't have a tripod :( I'll have to post it up later.

Nothing wrong with a dunny and this is a beaut Roy, lovely detail especially the eye. Its good to get them off the ground too. Well done (y)

Very nicely done Roy.
I was surprised at their singing abilities in spring.
John

Nice capture Roy, as Trev mentioned it is nice to get one off of the ground. I have a couple around the garden but they stay well tucked up in the undergrowth or in the Hawthorn. Strangely enough the one that was here last year was bold as brass:shrug:

Good shot Roy (y)

A very nice capture of this Dunnock, i had one the other day some 10 feet away and up of the ground.
I was able to capture a very detailed image.
I like in your image the excellent eye contact which i think is very important in any bird photo, and you say that you cloned out some clutter leaving a nice open space for the bird to look into.

Best regards Paul
Thanks for looking guys (y) hopefully I can out today and snap some 'real' birds ;)

Very nice Roy, love the 'warm' effect the light has on this bird.

Just an Dunny Just a Dunny.... Great shot and i love these birds a very dashing bird

You saying that Dunnock has been stuffed and mounted Roy?
LOL, nah it was a live bird Rich but I always think that snapping garden birds which are hanging around the feeders is a bit like shooting statues ;) especially if you are in a hide (as I was). My real passion is Waders and the like around the estuary where you have to do a bit of stalking to get anything decent.

Mind you I am not knocking anyone who likes sitting around in hides - each to their own. I guess I am a walker that takes along a Camera as opposed to an out and out bird photographer.

LOL, nah it was a live bird Rich but I always think that snapping garden birds which are hanging around the feeders is a bit like shooting statues ;) especially if you are in a hide (as I was). My real passion is Waders and the like around the estuary where you have to do a bit of stalking to get anything decent.

Mind you I am not knocking anyone who likes sitting around in hides - each to their own. I guess I am a walker that takes along a Camera as opposed to an out and out bird photographer.

I know it was Roy ;) I like a bit of stalking myself but have only managed the Kf so far. We have a small wetland area near to us which is sponsored and maintained by the waterboard as it is on their land. However it is in an open field and other than ducks and a couple of coots there is not that much there. Chew valley lakes are not far but if you have not got the reach you aint going to score :( What I think you have to consider though is that many people cannot afford neither money or time to pursue more species, myself included as I work a six day week. Shooting garden birds is always good practice for the times when you do get out. As for shooting garden birds is like shooting statues :thinking::thinking: Imo it is a bit like saying, unless you go and shoot the Taj Mahal or such like then you are not an Architectural and Building Photographer ;)

I know it was Roy ;) I like a bit of stalking myself but have only managed the Kf so far. We have a small wetland area near to us which is sponsored and maintained by the waterboard as it is on their land. However it is in an open field and other than ducks and a couple of coots there is not that much there. Chew valley lakes are not far but if you have not got the reach you aint going to score :( What I think you have to consider though is that many people cannot afford neither money or time to pursue more species, myself included as I work a six day week. Shooting garden birds is always good practice for the times when you do get out. As for shooting garden birds is like shooting statues :thinking::thinking: Imo it is a bit like saying, unless you go and shoot the Taj Mahal or such like then you are not an Architectural and Building Photographer ;)
Like I said Rich, I am not knocking anyone who shoots garden birds as I do it myself occasionally. I bought a chair hide about a year ago specifically to use in the garden (on the patio) but I just cannot get use to sitting around in a hide for hours - don't think I have used it more than half a dozen times and half an hour is about the longest I have managed without getting out and stretching my legs. It is not just garden birds either, I have never been in a hide on a managed reserve. I am lucky that it is just a 10 minute walk from the nearest Estuary so I much prefer to go for a walk. Mind you there is many a day when I walk for a couple of hours without even taking a single shot but I always enjoy the walk anyway. As you say, estuary or lake shooting is very much reach dependant which is why the vast majority of my shots are very heavy crops - I know I will never get the detail or quality of shots like the hide shooters do which is why I consider myself a walker who takes along a Camera. As far as I am concerned people who shoot a lot from hides deserve every thing they get, that also goes for folks who get up at some unearthly early hour to get the bird - I take my hat off to them. But it is not for me I am afraid.

Like I said Rich, I am not knocking anyone who shoots garden birds as I do it myself occasionally. I bought a chair hide about a year ago specifically to use in the garden (on the patio) but I just cannot get use to sitting around in a hide for hours - don't think I have used it more than half a dozen times and half an hour is about the longest I have managed without getting out and stretching my legs. It is not just garden birds either, I have never been in a hide on a managed reserve. I am lucky that it is just a 10 minute walk from the nearest Estuary so I much prefer to go for a walk. Mind you there is many a day when I walk for a couple of hours without even taking a single shot but I always enjoy the walk anyway. As you say, estuary or lake shooting is very much reach dependant which is why the vast majority of my shots are very heavy crops - I know I will never get the detail or quality of shots like the hide shooters do which is why I consider myself a walker who takes along a Camera. As far as I am concerned people who shoot a lot from hides deserve every thing they get, that also goes for folks who get up at some unearthly early hour to get the bird - I take my hat off to them. But it is not for me I am afraid.

I would not mind the comfort of a hide Don :LOL: I usually go for a walk myself with a sheet of cammo net rolled up, I can sit on the ground for a while but after a three or four hour stint my legs start to get numb :puke:

It may be only a Dunny but it is a nice one (y)

Regards

Richard

Back