Just damaged my EOS 400D, time for a new body!

Edit My Images
No
Last week I had been using my 400D and have managed to accidently drop it, anyway the mode dial is damaged and the camera no longer turns on. :shake::bang::thumbsdown:

Anyway the body has been at Norfolk Camera Centre in Dereham for repair and the price is going to be £170ish for a replacement power board.

However I am thinking of not repairing it and upgrading, The 450D looks a fancy bit of kit, Can anyone find a 450D cheaper than £385.99 (Warehouse Express) and does anyone know if Canon are still doing there £50 cashback?

Thanks

Lee.

this is exactly the same as mine, but I didn't drop it, it just refused to come on. Sorry to hear about it though, it's like having a limb removed :(

I've been quoted around £207 to fix, and it just doesn't seem worth it. I'm considering a 30/40D instead of another 400. l let you know if I see anything, you do the same! :)

In case it helps, I've seen an ad on another forum this morning for an 18 month old, little used 400D with kit lens for £210 delivered. Best not put a link here in case it's against rules, but let me know if you want me to direct you to it.

Last week I had been using my 400D and have managed to accidently drop it, anyway the mode dial is damaged and the camera no longer turns on. :shake::bang::thumbsdown:

Anyway the body has been at Norfolk Camera Centre in Dereham for repair and the price is going to be £170ish for a replacement power board.

However I am thinking of not repairing it and upgrading, The 450D looks a fancy bit of kit, Can anyone find a 450D cheaper than £385.99 (Warehouse Express) and does anyone know if Canon are still doing there £50 cashback?

Thanks

Lee.

Are you not covered by your house contents insurance Lee?

In case it helps, I've seen an ad on another forum this morning for an 18 month old, little used 400D with kit lens for £210 delivered. Best not put a link here in case it's against rules, but let me know if you want me to direct you to it.

Thanks for the info, but Im probably looking for an upgrade.

Are you not covered by your house contents insurance Lee?

Unfortuanately not, I contacted them earlier, we have accidental damage aswell and because I said I damaged it in the garden we are not covered?!

With the DSLR prices being pretty cheap these days (not withstanding recent price hikes), IMHo you're doing the right thing. Not economical to repair; you could get a better camera for a little more than the repair cost..

Re the 450D, have read reviews about them but don't own one myself. Very good remarks and certainly is a step up!

Have you also considered a 40D, as I have a feeling there's still cashback on those..

Just had a very quick look and seems £385.99 is the cheapest, according to camerapricebuster.co.uk

Ring them up again and speak to someone different, just to get a second person and see if they say the same. Doesn't sound right to me, especially if you have accidental damage cover away from the home...unless camera equipment has to be specified and yours isn't :cautious::shrug::thinking:

Unfortuanately not, I contacted them earlier, we have accidental damage aswell and because I said I damaged it in the garden we are not covered?!

What insurer is that? Mine NU or whatever they call themselves now covers us away from home too. Try again just because the 'contents' were outside seems a bit tight of them.

That's insane!! Ask them if they cover your lawnmower, when they say yes say where are you allowed to use it if not in the garden??!!?!!?

my insurance company done me addition to policy £1000 unspecified items £12 per year

Good reason to upgrade, shame the insurance doesn't cover it. But if I was to upgrade I would look at the 40D as opposed to the 450D.

Just been speaking to my insurance company NU, they said we are covered! it comes under personal belongings cover and because it was officially in the home and accidental cover is included on my policy I have a case :)

However there phone lines are closed until Monday!

How would I go about getting a newer model or something different rather than the 400D been repaired is that an option?

Thanks for all your help by the ways peeps (y)

Just been speaking to my insurance company NU, they said we are covered! it comes under personal belongings cover and because it was officially in the home and accidental cover is included on my policy I have a case :)

However there phone lines are closed until Monday!

How would I go about getting a newer model or something different rather than the 400D been repaired is that an option?

Thanks for all your help by the ways peeps (y)

NU are pretty good when you speak to the right person.

New for old? They may have a preferred supplier, but they sent a Jessops voucher/cheque for 350 and we topped it up for the model we wanted and managed to blag a bag too.

Well an appointed representative of the insurance company will probably want to inspect your 400D and almost certainly will says it's uneconomical to repair.

They will the give the go ahead for the insurance company to issue a replacement....

The 450D is the latest version of the 400, so will probably give you that, otherwise if you say you'd like to upgrade, then they will give you what the replacement price is but you'll have to pay the difference...alternatively they may decide just to "cash settle" and either give you vouchers, write a cheque to the camera retailer or pay the cash into your bank account..

Don't forget that here may be an excess though :thumbsdown:

Glad it appears to be sorted...well worth ringing and speaking to someone else, as the initial person may have been relatively new :)

PS. I'll be writing a guide to insuring your equipment on this forum, along with suggested questions to ask at the time of getting a quote etc. so should be posted up before tomorrow evening. Have plenty of experience in my dealings with insurance companies, so would love to pass this on :)

Markta, please do that, I personally would love to read that! (y)

Back