Just delved back into film after twenty years

Indeed - I, like many have been spoilt in many aspects by digital but I'm hoping that film will suppress some of the bad habits I have got into over the last twenty years.

Indeed - I, like many have been spoilt in many aspects by digital but I'm hoping that film will suppress some of the bad habits I have got into over the last twenty years.

If not, then try LF……..if that doesn't rid you of photogrpically based bad habits, then nothing will !

Welcome back to film, I still use my Canon A1 and find it gives great results so you should enjoy using your AE1 again. A good tip I was given a few years ago when shooting XP2 is to shoot it at 200 ISO in sunny conditions, which you can easily do with the Canon A-series cameras... but don't forget to change it back to 400 ISO before using it when the sun goes in! The results look nice and the shadows retain more detail if you try the 200 ISO trick. Hope this is useful. (y)

Oh, and if you find it suffers from 'Canon squeak' when the shutter fires then let us know as it's a fairly easy fix and we know a few reasonably priced camera repairers we can suggest. Are the film door light seals and mirror buffer foam OK too? I had the ones on my A1 replaced a year or so ago.

Last edited:
Just loaded my 40 year old AE-1 with 36 XP2 400 B&W frames. One photo every day or so will see me well into next month!

View attachment 256076

Ha, I’m just asking for advice on sourcing a camera in another thread. I hope you enjoy your camera. I’m a potter and really enjoy designing and making glazes from raw materials so I’m looking forward to tinkering with film development chemistry as much as taking the photos!

1591444 - why can I still remember the number of my AE-1 - bought for me as a present for doing well in my O-Levels - 1978 - must have been a a lot of money then.

Remember traipsing up to Debenhams in Romford once a month to pay it off in installments, I think my parents paid the deposit and I paid half of the rest, something like that.

A nice toy that led to a T90 and then another AE-1 when the first died :-(

Back