Just got my first macro lens :) *more pics added*

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
and oh my god how hard is it to focus up close on an object :D

I bought a Tamron 90mm 2.8 and I cant believe how hard it is to stay still whilst trying to focus on a little bug! I really need to steady my hand lol

Also, I love the way you can see the focus plane shifting along the subject in such detail, its awesome :)

I can really see why most macro togs use manual focus though, as my first test results were a little hit and miss using the auto focus....

I cant wait to use it to do some portrait work too, as I know the bokeh is awesome on this lens :D

I guess I just didnt realise how hard these lenses can be to focus up close lol, here are a couple of my first shots :)

100% Crop
4052828038_05450d5605.jpg

Water Drops
4052086027_cd64e4670e.jpg

Ugly flying thing ;)
4052085889_db3d554160.jpg

This is harder than it looks lol :LOL:

Last edited:
i only have the macro facility on my camera ..no dedicated lens but i know you need something to hold the camera steady ...tripod maybe but that might be a bit of a problem if you're in an awkward position ..a bog for instance...the ugly flying thing has worked well......what is bokeh

some great shots there, cant wait for my macro lens

Kirk

Welcome to the wonderful world of macro James, you will learn to love it I'm sure. Good start too ;)

This close up stuff is addictive.. you'll be crawling around in hedges before you know it. Nice first efforts - it sounds like you know what you need to work on so I have no advice other than keep at it, and post lots of shots (y)

Someone else that is doomed, doomed I say, you will spend all your time either looking for subjects to shoot, or trying to work out better ways of doing pretty much everything, trying to get that perfect shot, and you always end up finding fault................. or is that just me ?????

Looking forward to seeing more.

Dave ....

Great start! I'm still waiting to find a Tammy 90mm at the right price.

Thanks for the replies all :)

This close up stuff is addictive.. you'll be crawling around in hedges before you know it. Nice first efforts - it sounds like you know what you need to work on so I have no advice other than keep at it, and post lots of shots (y)

Thanks mate (y)

Someone else that is doomed, doomed I say, you will spend all your time either looking for subjects to shoot, or trying to work out better ways of doing pretty much everything, trying to get that perfect shot, and you always end up finding fault................. or is that just me ?????

Looking forward to seeing more.

Dave ....

I know what you mean, I was hunting around the garden for like an hour today, whilst also trying to get the cat to stay still AND trying to photograph my fish, inverts and corals :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of macro James, you will learn to love it I'm sure. Good start too ;)

Great start! I'm still waiting to find a Tammy 90mm at the right price.

I bought mine off here recently, and I saw another tamron for sale in the forum recently too, might be worth a quick search (y)

Also, has anyone got any tips on photographing fish... I cant seem to work out how to compensate for the distortion created by the fish tank glass, so everything comes out looking soft / out of focus... examples:

4053088623_a7cc9e8099.jpg

4053088097_9ffa3c9421.jpg

4053829244_05d9d59278.jpg

4053829086_86e90b32e8.jpg

4053829476_0968781a81.jpg

Any ideas ?

I like the crab and the shrimp.

I have taken literally hundreds of our fish but nothing good enough to post so I will be looking out for tips about shooting in a tank myself.

Never tried it myself but your fish shots look pretty good to me(y) Compensating for thick non optical glass could be a problem though:thinking:

Back