Just introducing myself

Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone,

My name is Tomas and I am a little confused! Please help!

I have been taking photographs now for the past few years. I enjoy it tremendously. I strongly believe that it is time to put down the Fuji S7000 that has served me well and step into the realm of better tools.
I am starting to write magazine articles and want to provide great photos to accompany them. I am also writing a book which I will also wish to have great quality images.
Im interested in all kinds of fly fishing photography, close up macro, landscapes and Wildlife photography.

Im a lucky guy in the respect that my Dad has brought me up to be creative and I am confident with my artistic license. I have a lot to learn when it comes to Photography and thats the fun part but not the question I would be very grateful to get answered.

The cameras Im looking at are Canon 30D and possibly a 5D. They both seem like great cameras and the reviews I have read confirm so.
However, I dont want to buy anything that I have to upgrade because it doesnt pack the punch or is classed unsatisfactory for industry standard.
I used to sell guitars for three years (been playing for 17 years) and I am fully experienced in burning away cash with subtle upgrades. I always adopted the "Go for the throat" method and advised Semi pros or proffessional players to buy well crafted instruments if they expect the best performance and longevity.

It doesnt matter to me that I am not a pro right now but I dont want to have shell out another few grand in the not too distant future because the kit I have just doesnt cut it.

Am I missing the point? Is there a standard of image quality that could prevent me from getting work in the future? Providing you have the right kind of lenses and the knowledge can you take pro quality pics with a 30D?

If anyone could advise I would be really grateful.

P.S I apologise prefuseley for the grammar in this post, Im in Berlin, Germany at the moment and I really cant work out this dang keyboard!

Kind Regards

Tomas Whitehouse.
www.tntflies.com

Hi Tomas, welcome aboard :)

Not got time for the rest of it just now but either would be capable of producing high quality images. Very different beasts though.

Hello :)

There is lot to take in with dslr photography. Standard advice when choosing a first camera is go into a shop and handle a few to see what feels right to you. Nikon..Canon...oly... sony etc. You can always buy online later if it is cheaper that way.

If you take it seriously you will end up spending more on lenses that you do on a body.

hi

Hi and welcome :wave:

You actually asked one Hell of a question Elvis which really needs a huge post to answer it, so the short version...

Yes - the 30D is capable of producing pro results, as is the 5D. The main thing which distinguishes more expensive pro cameras from these models is rugged build quality and general 'bouncability'. The 30D is a 1.6 crop sensor whereas the 5D is a full frame sensor. There are advantages and disadvantages to both sensor sizes, so it needs careful consideration which size you go for.

If you want to future proof your purchases, your best plan is to spend the money on the best glass you can get. Camera bodies are superseded by new models at an alarming pace nowadays - probably every other new model is a legitimate upgrade for most users. :)

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

I appreciate that my question was a bit of a whopper. Thanks to everyone who has replied, you have all been great help!

Due to finances, I think the best option maybe is for me to go for a 30D and buy some great glass to go with, I hope this will do. I already have an imac with cs and a reasonable manfrotto tripod which I have used other the last year, so apart from cases and maybe filters i should be good.
Ok I have another question if you nice folk have the time.
My Mom goes to the states every couple of years and Ive been looking at prices on the web. First off they seem alot cheaper, especially the lenses.
Apart form the obvious warranty issues would there be any probs with an american body?
Im aware of the potential import stingings too but surely this is avoidable.
If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks again for the help CT, Robert P and the warm welcome.

Cheers

Tomas

Hi & welcome to the forums Tomas (y)
I originally used a Rebel XT - the American version of the 350D & had no problems at all with compatibility if that's what you are worried about - the only difference I found was the name & the power supply adaptor (aside from the obvious warranty issues that you mentioned) If there are any problems & I was just lucky with mine, I'm sure someone will be along to point this out & help more (y)

Back