Just ordered my first SLR....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm really excited, Canon 1000D + 18-55 IS Kit lens, + 55-200mm Canon lens is on its way :D

From CameraWorld Chelmsford, £420 + del

:D

Any tips for a newbie to get the most of it tommorrow?

Hi

I'm really excited, Canon 1000D + 18-55 IS Kit lens, + 55-200mm Canon lens is on its way :D

From CameraWorld Chelmsford, £420 + del

:D

Any tips for a newbie to get the most of it tommorrow?

Just enjoy, download your photos, experiment, read a book like Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson and you'll gradually improve :)

Also suggest posting some of your results on this site and we can help improve your photography by pointing things out that could be improved (purely done from a perspective of helping you ;)) and you'll find that it should help you get better and more confident with the camera :)

As for tips, try experimenting with different settings, have a good read of the instruction manual tonight, but photography isn't learnt overnight, not by a long way :nono:

have fun with it welcome to a very expensive hobby!

i take it you ordered a mem card as well???

congrats on the purchase, will be fun trying to figure it all out

No, i didn't order a memory card, but i already have a 2gb Ultra II.

Just arrived, now waiting for the battery to charge!

Tad dissapointed, its not the 18-55mm IS lens, just 18-55mm, and because of that i don't get the cashback like stated.

http://cameraworld.co.uk/ViewProdDe...1000D, 18-55mm & 55-200mm EF-S CashBack Offer

Do you think i can do anything about that?

I know it didnt say it was IS, so i can live with that, just a tad annoyed bout the cashback :(

well, they claim on there site you can get it:shrug:

I thought that was the reason the Canon 1000d was brought out so it included the is lens. Thats why it replaced the 400d which came with the non is lens so i was told.
Matt

but this looks like a twin lens kit, dont know if they put together the kit themselves or all came in the same box:shrug:

No, its a twin lens kit thats produced in a retail box by Canon.

On the cashback form, when i came to fill it in, it says '1000d (18-55mmIS only)'

I'll give them a ring i think.

Enjoy fellow Lincs person.

Where abouts?

No, its a twin lens kit thats produced in a retail box by Canon.

On the cashback form, when i came to fill it in, it says '1000d (18-55mmIS only)'

I'll give them a ring i think.

I'd play hell, youve been mislead. Demand they stand the equivalent of the cashback (in a courteous yet take no ****** manner of course.)

Well i rang, they said it will, i have printed off the page on their site, and if i have a problem with it, i'll chase them up.

Their other service has been excellent, so no point moaning until Canon actually dont give it me.

As a newbe myself i'd recommend:

* Shooting in manual from day 1.

* Read up on aperture and shutters speeds and how they effect what your trying to shoot.

* Get out there whenever you can and getting shooting.

Good luck

* Read up on aperture and shutters speeds and how they effect what trying to shoot

:plus1: That's where I started, and of course if you're unsure, ASK! This forum is brilliant, so you've made the first right step by joining!

Re. Manual: Force yourself to do it. It's tricky to get the hang of and it'll be so tempting to go for a scene mode, or even aperture of shutter priority, but you'll be glad you persevered in the long run.

OK. I shall read the instrtuction book and go through it and get playing!

Plenty of time to read it while you're waiting for the battery to chrage :D

* Read up on aperture and shutters speeds and how they effect what your trying to shoot.

* Get out there whenever you can and getting shooting.

Good luck

Nice one Andy---But for a lot of people that can be a frustrating way of learning.Understanding the aperture,shutter speed,ISO relationship and DOF can take a while.I tend to use Av-80%,Tv-15% and M-5%---but thats just my style.I usually recommend newbs to use the auto/green square at first just to enjoy using the camera and getting the feel of it.Then moving on to Av and or Tv before heading to manual as soon as the enquiring mind dictates.The important thing is to feel happy with your cam.You were happy starting in M and thats great--but there is no shame in using A or the pre-sets if thats what helps get you started.One thing that usually helps is one of the camera specific DVD tutorials that can be picked up via ebay.They are really useful for setting up the camera and understanding the menus and can be picked up pretty cheaply---well worth it.
Cheers,
Pete.

No, i didn't order a memory card, but i already have a 2gb Ultra II.

Just arrived, now waiting for the battery to charge!

Tad dissapointed, its not the 18-55mm IS lens, just 18-55mm, and because of that i don't get the cashback like stated.

http://cameraworld.co.uk/ViewProdDet...shBack Offer

Do you think i can do anything about that?

I know it didnt say it was IS, so i can live with that, just a tad annoyed bout the cashback
[/I]

i have used cameraworld a lot and never had a problem with them. The guys in the shop are always helpful, they have even changed a filter i took back after 3 months. The cash back from canon does take a while, i think i waitted 2-3 months you will know straight away if you going to get it when you fill out the forms online
good luck

Congradulations, I remember waiting for my D300 to be delivered, I left work early when my wife called me and toold me the package came.
Enjoy!

Back