Just sold my first pics

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I covered a local equestrian event on Saturday which was my initiation as the 'official photographer' and I've just received my first orders! :banana:

Not much and I certainly can't retire on it but it still feels good!

Excellent! :)

That first payday is always the best.

well done indeed! nice to get a bit of cash for a photo, nicer to see it in print though!

Congratulations

excellent, well done :) How are you promoting yourself?

Excellent, congratulations :clap:

Thanks guys, since making the above post I've just had orders for another 4 prints. :banana: :banana:

Dod, all I'm doing is handing out business cards at the event and talking to the riders and owners, in time I will make a small display showing some examples with a banner showing my name, I might even get one of those cheap portable marquee/tent thingies. It's all pretty low key at the moment but that suits me fine as it allows me to refine my ordering process if need be. I've just had a call from the organiser of Saturdays event asking to do some more, including evenings, starting tomorrow night and another one this weekend.

I was very fortunate on Saturday in that the guy who runs another large pony/riding club was there and will be contacting me about further events that he organises.

Forbiddenbiker said:
I trained as a Farrier years ago and I didn't notice any shortage of funds with the owners. Personally and hopefully... I think your sitting on a whole heap of earnings...they just don't know it yet. Lol.

Top banana. (y)

Now there is a licence to print money, if your back can take it! I take it you didn't carry on with it.

Great stuff Colin ... more power to yours m8 ! :clap:

Do we get to see the shots or do we gotta pay too ???
:LOL: :LOL:

Venomator said:

Do we get to see the shots or do we gotta pay too ???
:LOL: :LOL:

They're all on the website (www.greenlees-photography.com) listed below, go into the events gallery and click on Knebworth 10th June, I won't charge this time but don't let it be a regular thing. :nono: :D

Funny thing is when I got back and downloaded the images I was very disappointed with them. They were all shot in the middle of the day under a blazing sun and metering was a nightmare, particularly with the grey/white horses. :crying:

Hhmmmmm !?!:cautious:

Nice lot (179) of horsey pics ... but I only wanted to see the odd one or two 'sellers' ... out of curiosity only of course ! :naughty:

:LOL:

Okay then, just for you! This lady was in her second competition and very nervous before the event but managed to get placed, she was so chuffed she wanted a pic of her, the horse and rosette!

Knebworth_10th_June_104.jpg

This young girl appeared to be a very competent rider and obviously enjoyed what she was doing.

Knebworth_071_Collings_crop.jpg

That will be £10 please. :D

Congrats on the work Hacker, hope it leads to much more!
I would have paid whatever price a photographer asked just to have had one good pic of my horse in action.
All Ive got for memories is a none too well painted oil that my ex paid an artist a couple of hundred quid to copy from a snap ... oh and the snaps of course, lol!

bit of shadow/hightlight on the first one to bring out the detail in her face a little, then you can charge her a bit more!

matty said:
bit of shadow/hightlight on the first one to bring out the detail in her face a little, then you can charge her a bit more!

:LOL: i was thinking about what he said about exposure when I saw that one too ;)

Hacker said:
Now there is a licence to print money, if your back can take it! I take it you didn't carry on with it.

No, your right Lol... my back couldn't take it.
Still love the whole metal working subject though, but I haven't ridden for a while now....you can't hire a fit horse, only a fat one it seems, and I probably couldn't cover the insurance premium even if I could find a fit one. :LOL:

Just thinking Colin, for your stall/display idea, which I think is good....also find a spot to do some portraits, under some trees perhaps...dappled shade and all that....its gonna be tricky I know, because most events are held in the middle of fields. ...just pondering.

Hi Colin Congratulations :clap:

Out of curiousity - how are you getting them printed? local printer, web, home printer?

What sort of charge for what size?

Why do I ask - well I've started dabling with some pictures for a dance studio but not sure how much to ask, also my pics are often non standard sizes - wondered if you'd conquered this one.

Appreciate all the comments, that's what makes this forum so good. :clap:

Keltic Ice Man said:
Hi Colin Congratulations :clap:

Out of curiousity - how are you getting them printed? local printer, web, home printer?

What sort of charge for what size?

Why do I ask - well I've started dabling with some pictures for a dance studio but not sure how much to ask, also my pics are often non standard sizes - wondered if you'd conquered this one.

Keltic,

I'm using Photobox for my printing and they are superb, I can't fault them. They have a lot of non-standard sizes, have a look at their price list. I'm charging £12.95 for a 10x8 which includes P&P, th larger sizes cost more obviously. They also do deals at certain times, I've just this evening sold a couple of poster prints to friends of my wife for £35 each and they are on special offer at the mo for £5.99, seize the opportunity!

After taking out my costs (envelopes, printing, stamps, Paypal charges) I make £8.50 - £9 per print, more if I do a bulk order which makes the printing cheaper.

Back