Just started using photoshop

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just started using photoshop today, i must say there is alot to learn, i though i would play a little with these snaps that i took yesterday.

2621419150_947aa208b1_o.jpg

2620443017_71b7d1c16c_o.jpg

Is there anyone out there that can give me a few pointers, also tell me how i can put colour into a b+w shot.

Cheers, H.

One of the most basic (and important!) things you could learn to play with is Levels. Google some tutorials as there are loads around.

If you've not used PS before "colour popping" (as I think it's known) isn't too difficult to do. Again search for some tutorials is the best way to learn. A quick method though, select the area you want to remain coloured, right click it and select 'copy to new layer'. Then select the background layer in the Layers tab and convert this to grayscale/mono (Image->Adjustments in the toolbar).

HTH

There are some very good tutorials on YouTube. Just search something like "colour popping in Photoshop" or similar.

I like the second shot where your eye is led along the path.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Harry

I edited your pics cropped, levels, slight vignette for darker edges, and framed, 1 with colour boost and 1 B+W version

Original Photos By Harrymac

2620718645_03166eff8a_o.jpg

2620718101_d613e8361a_o.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Harry

I edited your pics cropped, levels, slight vignette for darker edges, and framed, 1 with colour boost and 1 B+W version

Original Photos By Harrymac

2620718645_03166eff8a_o.jpg

2620718101_d613e8361a_o.jpg

Dave

Ok Dave, i got the levels and crop, i am just a little scared about going too far with the levels. How the hell do yoy frame?

Hi

I added a layer and moved it to the bottom of the stack, with the top layer selected (the image) I used canvas resize for the border first resize was adding 7px white and on the bottom layer , I then resized the canvas again but only at the bottom and right sides by 30px, filled with white, I then selected my first layer (the image), and double clicked it to bring up blending options palate and used drop shadow

HTH

there are lots of tutorials on youtube and I think somewhere on TP there is a tutorial try doing a search for it

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. Am beginning to find out that ps is quite time consuming. Keep the tips coming, i need all the help i can get.

Be careful, it gets very addictive and before you know it the days just start flying by in a blur of dodging, burning and playing with sliders! Have fun though, post your efforts here and see what people think of your work!

Chris

Thanks for the link barbs, i will be sure to take a peek. This ps is very addictive, i think I'm actually getting some where at last.

Is this any good or can it be better, if it can let me know how to do it.

2621399145_fdcd6f921f_o.jpg

Cheers, H.

Back