Just to see this in our garden

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I feel chuffed to bits, I know this is not up to the standards you lot set but not only to see this in our garden but to have a camera at my side at the time has made my day.

Clickable for bigger and a little better. Ian

A girl woodpecker, great stuff!

Yep, isn`t it a great feeling when you see stuff like this close up,makes you want to see it more.

Well done bud and keep at it............(y)

Go to a garden centre and get one of those pole mounted peanut feeders. I guarantee you'll be then seeing these daily.

Edit.

OR... drill some holes in the end of that stump she's sitting on and cram them full of a mix of fatballs and peanuts.

Nice shot btw!

Last edited:
Go to a garden centre and get one of those pole mounted peanut feeders. I guarantee you'll be then seeing these daily.

Our garden is a mass of feeders, 2 different seed feeders, Meal worm, Peanuts, 2 suet feeders, 2 fat ball feeders (6 in each) a table for the random stuff and a bird bath. We get plenty of what I call the normal garden birds but this Woody was just something very different and darn nice to see.

Well the thing with Woodies is they're very wary - they like to be well off the ground away from ground predators. We were similar to you lots of feeders in the garden, but not attracting the Woodies, then we saw one a couple of times and put up the pole feeder. Within a few days they were regular vistiors. We now get a pair visiting several times a day all year round and the young ones later on.

This is a young one on the pole feeder...

4402824800_6a0208b872_o.jpg

Last edited:
As Cedric says, get an old fence post,old piece of tree or whatever, secure it in the floor,drill some holes and cram some fat balls in there,they will get used to the food and return regularly.

Woodies like being away from the maddening hordes as well....................(y)

Congrats Ian, right place right time eh? Nice capture (y)
I have listened to a lot of advice from CT over the months, but dangling my nuts from a pole has to be the strangest yet :thinking:

Nice one. I have a woodpecker that visits on and off but never managed to have the camera with me when it turns up.

I have listened to a lot of advice from CT over the months, but dangling my nuts from a pole has to be the strangest yet :thinking:
Hah! You're just trying to kid us you haven't done it! :D

he will keep coming back now (y)

Hah! You're just trying to kid us you haven't done it! :D

Well maybe the once Cedric :nuts: But the only thing it attracted was a bloke with a blue pointy hat on his head :cautious:

:LOL:

he will keep coming back now (y)

I hope so but she didn't eat just flew in landed and was off again after I managed 3 shots.

Thanks for all the tips I will be putting them in to practise and see what happens.

Well spotted and a nice capture.

Good shot, particularly with what sounds like short time to set up. we have one occasionally but armed with all the advice from these replies I have a better idea as to how to set up feeding areas. One of the reasons that I like TP (and I have only been here a short time) is the informative, useful and friendly advice that is given. Off to find some poles. :D

Back