K Club ban on mobiles and cameras (Golf Ryder Cup)

Edit My Images
Yes
Spectators at next month's Ryder Cup at the K Club will be banned from carrying mobile phones and cameras.

"This decision was taken to ensure that the matches take place without the risk of disturbance to the players," a spokesman for the European Tour said.

Cameras will be permitted on practice days, September 19 to 21, but not on match days.

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/5270974.stm

Phones i can understand, cameras I'm not so sure of. I presume they won't place any restrictions on press cameras?

Or is it just to try and reduce the disturbance due to flashes going off?

Personally, i'd also want to ban the muppets who shout 'in the hole' every time someone does a put. FFS, where else are they trying to send the ball?:bang:

... and even on tee shots if Americans are there. :)

the flash might be annoying to them, but to be fair, if your playing a game that people have paid to go and see, why shouldnt they take cameras if they want?

matty said:
the flash might be annoying to them, but to be fair, if your playing a game that people have paid to go and see, why shouldnt they take cameras if they want?

I tend to get a bit annoyed with the attitude of events & competitors towards amateur photographers.

You get places banning cameras because the pro photographers complain it undermines they're work - you're pros you get the best access, you've got the big lenses. If you can't get the job done then there's something wrong.

Then you get the competitors complaining about distractions. You've got the guys asking for silence, huge greens & fairways in comparison to most clubs, guys finding your ball etc. If your that good, just get on with it.

Sounds like some ones over reacting to past events and maybe trying to be a bit big brother, trying to control to much. Besides some one somewhere will have a camera with them. If you're a pro with all the top kit, access all areas you should be getting all the shots surely???? If they're not then they have a big problem. If some little part timer gets the shot damn good luck to him/her even better if they can get it printed in the press or on the net.

Top sportsmen/women should expect people to want to take their photographs it's only natural, they should know how to deal with it and get on with their game. It's not as it the public will be sticking their lenses up their noses.

Mobile phones yeah I can understand that one they're so annoying with they're naff ring tones plus I always find that people have to shout when they anwser their phones and make a big deal about out of it.

Sorry rant over:bang:

Cameras are already banned at all tour events except on practice days, doesn't appear to be any different for the Ryder Cup.

As a golfer the sillyest (SP) of things can put you off, so I think its fair during the tournement days that phones and cameras are banned. From a photographer, I think you should be allowed to take you camera onto the practise area grandstand seating and be able to take pics, as you'll be far enough away not to bother players that much and also if you've got some big lenses you'll get some good shots that you'd proberbly never get any out on course. Having said that you still see pros taking the **** and pressing the buttons before the player has hit the ball, so you can see why players get hacked off even with the pro photographers. :shrug:

Next thing they'll be banning loud shirts & ugly women

or would that mean that there would be no pro-golfers left ?

:)

Back