Edit My Images
Yes
Well it's been a strange morning and the fates have been dealing me a suspect hand.

As a follow on to a previous dicussion about use of tripod on Bristol suspension bridge and getting told to leave because it was a busy place yet I was the only one there :annoyed: .

I returned again at 9am this morning in the car to find the toll barrier was up and was told "Police bike's just been through and they don't trip the barrier so it's free for you!", that's Karma I thought smugly :icon_cool . Ha ha haaaa!

Ten minutes later, in a quick scrabble to get the tripod (with camera already attached) set up for that brief bit of sunlight I flipped the wrong lever and schlop off dropped the camera from about 3 foot up onto the tarmac path. :icon_eek:

That's Karma I thought.

Slightly mangled lens hood and everything still seems to work but the battery doesn't have enough charge in it to read the CF card so I have no idea at the moment if all is well :(

Lesson to us all there I feel, don't play with fate, she's a fickle mistress!

SammyC said:
Well it's been a strange morning and the fates have been dealing me a suspect hand.

As a follow on to a previous dicussion about use of tripod on Bristol suspension bridge and getting told to leave because it was a busy place yet I was the only one there :annoyed: .

I returned again at 9am this morning in the car to find the toll barrier was up and was told "Police bike's just been through and they don't trip the barrier so it's free for you!", that's Karma I thought smugly :icon_cool . Ha ha haaaa!

Ten minutes later, in a quick scrabble to get the tripod (with camera already attached) set up for that brief bit of sunlight I flipped the wrong lever and schlop off dropped the camera from about 3 foot up onto the tarmac path. :icon_eek:

That's Karma I thought.

Slightly mangled lens hood and everything still seems to work but the battery doesn't have enough charge in it to read the CF card so I have no idea at the moment if all is well :(

It's true... I've been there. The key is to keep humble and respectful thoughts in your mind as you enjoy unexpected good fortune. If you gloat, it'll bite yer ass in a second.

SammyC said:

That's Karma I thought.

I have just noticed this thread and wondered what the outcome was once you had time to assess for possible damage in detail?

I hope you have none but since the camera feel from height onto tarmac...

Oops, forgot about this thread. Started it in a mood of gloom and dispair!

Everything seems to be fine, Sigma lens is as sharp as it ever was (not massively then!) and camera seems to be fine. I think I get to mark that down to Karma tapping me on the shoulder and saying 'Careful now sonny!'. :p

Lucky escape indeed. Could have turned out to be an expensive day out.

I'd have blamed the missus as I was just filling the time after dropping her off to go riding. :D

Once knocked my Olympus OM2 off a coffee table onto carpet, only for mirror mechanism never to work properly again :( . Lucky escape there for you...... hope the shot was worth it

My 350d with 70-200 F4 L almost went for a ride the other day. The tripod they were on didn't like supporting them, and decided to go tumbling forward :D Luckily i saw it, and managed to save em :D

Does everyone bother with buying separate lens hoods for those lenses that don't come supplied with them?

For example the canon kit lens?

I'm tempted to buy one, would it be worth it...Any benefits except for the obvious protection of banging the end of the lens?

Marcel said:
Does everyone bother with buying separate lens hoods for those lenses that don't come supplied with them?

For example the canon kit lens?

I'm tempted to buy one, would it be worth it...Any benefits except for the obvious protection of banging the end of the lens?

nah, I only need the one!

My 350d with 70-200 F4 L almost went for a ride the other day. The tripod they were on didn't like supporting them, and decided to go tumbling forward Luckily i saw it, and managed to save em

There is much to be said for positioning long, heavy lenses over a leg wherever possible. Prevents all sorts of traumas!

gandhi said:
nah, I only need the one!

Hehe.

No I mean, buying a lens hood where you don't have one available, as opposed to one lens hood per lens.

I've got one on my Sigma 70-300, but I don't have one for the kit lens, and was wondering if it's worth getting one?
Same goes when I buy the 50mm.

Jessops do those fold out rubber lens hoods that are cheap, easy to fold back onto the lens for storage and work well. I use one on my 50mm. All my other lenses came with hoods.

Thanks Steve, I think I'll look into a couple of those then (well, one for now).
More for peace of mind for my gear at the mercy of my kack handed fumbling fingers :D

A mate and I once tested our bounce-flash technique using a set of Bowens lights.
One of us tripped over the cable and down they went.

And no...they didn't bounce :) :) :)

Back