Keeping Warm & Dry

• Thread starter Deleted member 97794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 97794

Over the many years I've had doing landscape photography and going to some very cold locations, one of the biggest challenges I've had is finding the right clothing and footwear to stay warm and dry. Its been trial and error, having purchased numerous pairs of boots, gloves, coats etc that have just not been up to the job. Photography gloves from Vallerret (I've purchased two pairs) have been poor and solving the cold/wet feet issue has been a major challenge. Feet get very cold when stood in the same location for an extended period of time. My Muck Boot Arctic Sports have solved that issue.
Be interested in other peoples experiences and recommendations.

Clothing wise I have a pair of Paramo Cascadia Trousers and Halkon Jacket, and then a variety of layers under that. Paramo use a multi-layer construction to their 'waterproofs', with wicking inner layers and water repellent outer layers (rather than waterproof, so they remain totally breathable).
The 'coldest' I've been with that gear is Iceland in March - not sure what the temperature was, but we had a few days when it was snowing heavily, and I was quite comfortable - but I wasn't standing around anywhere for a prolonged period.
Just had a pair of standard walking boots (and double socks), and some thinsulate gloves that I put on whenever I wasn't actively shooting.

Clothing wise I have a pair of Paramo Cascadia Trousers and Halkon Jacket, and then a variety of layers under that. Paramo use a multi-layer construction to their 'waterproofs', with wicking inner layers and water repellent outer layers (rather than waterproof, so they remain totally breathable).
The 'coldest' I've been with that gear is Iceland in March - not sure what the temperature was, but we had a few days when it was snowing heavily, and I was quite comfortable - but I wasn't standing around anywhere for a prolonged period.
Just had a pair of standard walking boots (and double socks), and some thinsulate gloves that I put on whenever I wasn't actively shooting.
you have to be careful in wearing double socks, you can get them too tight, this reduces blood flow and will make your feet colder, similarly if your boots are too tight, if your standing still try wriggling your toes

My top two is sealskinz knee high waterproof socks...I wear them every time I go out hiking and merino base layers.

There's a brand called The Heat Company that does gloves marketed for photography, you can get them off Amazon. Their products are designed for layering - it works for gloves as much as it does the rest of your cold weather kit.

Carhartt work boots for me. They are heavy but I've had them 4 or 5 years now and they never let me down in the colder months. Still utterly waterproof, tough, and excellent protection for my feet.

Still struggling with gloves - there have been a couple of posts on here and I've tried various recommendations, but not found anything that keeps my hands warm and gives me dexterity to operate the camera without removing a flap, or a finger cover. Closest so far is a pair of gardening gloves from the garden centre but they're only good for chilly days and not truly cold ones.

As to the rest, I just layer up with whatever is to hand depending on the weather.

for the worst conditions I have:
- woolrich coat
- jack wolfskin winter trousers
- salamon winter boots
- heat company gloves (as above)
- hat and scarf

My top two is sealskinz knee high waterproof socks...I wear them every time I go out hiking and merino base layers.
I use the Sealskinz gloves. They're cheaper than the Vallerret photography gloves and waterproof.

Have you tried fishing gear? Fishermen go out in all weathers and don't move about much. Neoprene socks and gloves might be worth a try.

I used to find a thermal teeshirt, fleese layer and a down jacket and neoprene gloves worked for me down to -20. Strangly my legs and feet dont seem to feel the cold much. Now for normal wanders I tend to favor a thick hi-vis jacket from a builders merchant, they are warm and waterproof. I used to favor gortex boots but they dont seem to last very long.

you have to be careful in wearing double socks, you can get them too tight, this reduces blood flow and will make your feet colder, similarly if your boots are too tight, if your standing still try wriggling your toes
With shoes / boots always take the time to get ones that fit properly, and with the socks you're going to wear with them.
The second pair I have is a size up, so not too tight - our dog needs his walk every morning, rain, shine or blizzard, and the paths through the woods get very muddy, so it's neoprene fishing wellies (Aldi special!) with double socks for that as well.

I have a pair of Vallerret Markhof Pro V3 and find them really good if not a wee bit too warm.
I have an XL pair in the new Olive colour in the classifieds ;)

How do you find them in the rain? Both pairs I have get thoroughly saturated when it rains.

Layering is key. Merino base layers with various breathable but waterproof outer layers, can't beat goretex for this sort of top layer. As for gloves, heavier top layer with a thinner inner works as you can shed the thicker mitt to shoot, and then reapply while walking. As for feet, Altberg peacekeeper aqua boots and I've never had cold or wet feet. 2 weeks ago I was in the forest for a rally and while it wasn't too cold I ended up twice up to my mid shin in water/mud as I misjudged the depth of the boggy ground. Wet jeans and mud around the top of my sock, but ankles and feet were perfectly dry. If you are hill walking through long heather then a good set of gaiters will see you right too.

Back