Critique required Kell's 52 4 24 - WK 16 EMPTY + VIVID TECH

Lovely shot... some good contrasty tones in the flickr version.

Hidden - good set and agree you picked the best one. The shot of the surfer is a cracker, pity about the board but I’m sure the surfer would put it on the wall if he had a copy

Week 13 - Unkempt

Had a walk around work the other day. As it's in Camden, there's a fair amount of UNKEMPTNESS to choose from.

All on a Sony A7i + Minolta Manual Lenses

Under the Bridge

TP522024 - week 13 03 by Kell, on Flickr

If you don't take care of your living wall, does it become too unkempt?

TP522024 - week 13 05 by Kell, on Flickr

Think this garden needs some work

TP522024 - week 13 04 by Kell, on Flickr

But my submission is this guy - he's always on the bridge and charges for selfies with him. (His sign says "HELP A PUNK GET DRUNK"

TP522024 - week 13 01 by Kell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Amazing hair and you chose the right one, different from the soles of his boots to his hair

Nice candid portrait of a really interesting subject. Zooming in on Flickr to see the detail, I think I prefer the shot closer cropped.

Great photo, but I wouldn’t say he qualifies as unkempt, it must take effort to maintain that look!

Yeah that - takes work to maintain a mohawk like that.

It's a great shot though. A selfie with him would have been better :)

I could tell it was a surfer before your comment, there's enough of the board showing, Looks too bloody cold to me, and the cropped picture works really well too.

Great photo, but I wouldn’t say he qualifies as unkempt, it must take effort to maintain that look!
Yeah that - takes work to maintain a mohawk like that.

It's a great shot though. A selfie with him would have been better :)

Personal opinion, but for me the unkemptness applies to the overall look rather than just his hair. Because I agree that unkempt (in my head at least) means uncared for or given no attention. Which clearly doesn't apply to his hair.

And while I drew focus to the guy with the mohawk, it's really the entire group - he's just the standout because of his hair.

That is amazing! I like how you have correctly identified it as a Leopard and not a Jaguar! South Africa is on my list of holiday destinations. And to be able to see these amazing big cats and other animals in their natural home would be incredible! Such big teeth, but I bet he or she would turn kitten when given some catnip! ;)

Lovely shot of the cat gob, some great shots of Africa on your Flickr Kell

That is amazing! I like how you have correctly identified it as a Leopard and not a Jaguar! South Africa is on my list of holiday destinations. And to be able to see these amazing big cats and other animals in their natural home would be incredible! Such big teeth, but I bet he or she would turn kitten when given some catnip! ;)

I bet he/she wouldn't.

Not sure where I heard it now, but apparently no one has been able to tame a Leopard anywhere in the world. Virtually all other big cats can be domesticated to some degree, but not Leopards.

As part of the same trip, we walked with Cheetahs at a conservation place called Tenikwa. Cheetahs are the lightest of the 'big cats' and they were still unbelievably powerful. (I put that in quotes as i think they don't qualify as big cats as they can't roar. They purr instead - which is an amazingly deep sound.)

They no longer do this walk in the same way. As they came under some criticism for it - people thinking it was like those places that drug their big cats so you can go in with them. As they're all about conservation, they didn't want that reputation.

IMG_2131.JPG

Last edited:
I bet he/she wouldn't.

Not sure where I heard it now, but apparently no one has been able to tame a Leopard anywhere in the world. Virtually all other big cats can be domesticated to some degree, but not Leopards.

As part of the same trip, we walked with Cheetahs at a conservation place called Tenikwa. Cheetahs are the lightest of the 'big cats' and they were still unbelievably powerful. (I put that in quotes as i think they don't qualify as big cats as they can't roar. They purr instead - which is an amazingly deep sound.)

They no longer do this walk in the same way. As they came under some criticism for it - people thinking it was like those places that drug their big cats so you can go in with them. As they're all about conservation, they didn't want that reputation.

View attachment 419519
Wow that looks incredible! What an experience.
Yes I heard about some of the places drugging their animals, so cruel! I’m all for conservation and education but as much as I would love to say I’ve touched a lion/tiger etc, I don’t want the animal drugged for my pleasure.
My dream is to go somewhere like the Serengeti, Masai Mara etc for a wild safari. Stay in a lodge in the middle of no where and spend everyday spotting animals and watching the Great Migration.

I'd forgotten about this one - which I liked when I got home and realised it looked like the female has had enough of him roaring...

White Lion by Kell, on Flickr

Was amazing to go back and see those two as we first saw them as cubs.

Last edited:
Wow that looks incredible! What an experience.
Yes I heard about some of the places drugging their animals, so cruel! I’m all for conservation and education but as much as I would love to say I’ve touched a lion/tiger etc, I don’t want the animal drugged for my pleasure.
My dream is to go somewhere like the Serengeti, Masai Mara etc for a wild safari. Stay in a lodge in the middle of no where and spend everyday spotting animals and watching the Great Migration.

It really was. Place was called Tenikwa (near Plettenberg Bay) - and they used to do a 'Crazy Cat day' where you walked the Cheetahs, fed them, groomed them. We also got to go in with their other cats (Servals, Caracals) and also with the penguins and the lion cubs above. Spent the entire day there, fed some of the animals and learned a lot.

IMG_5689 by Kell, on Flickr

Excellent place if you wanted to go and learn about conservation.

Both of the 'safaris' we've done have been in private game reserves. So not a 'true' safari in that sense of the animals don't roam totally free (albeit they do have 10,000 hectares). One was at Aquila (the nearest to Cape Town). I don't remember the name of the second one on our second trip - maybe because we didn't see lions on that trip.

I'd love to go a do a proper one at some point, but these were good as the holidays were about so much more than just the safari.

Last edited:
Wow!- Great theme shot, and fabulous others attached Kell. What a trip!

Unkempt - that living wall is amazing! Even if it could do with some attention. Agree with the "unkempt" looking group probably taking hours to get ready, but it's still a great shot for the theme

Gobshot - what a great pic, and the lion would have worked amazingly too! Looks like a fantastic place to see & learn about all of the conservation they do, and must have been lovely to see the cubs all grown up!

Unkempt - that living wall is amazing! Even if it could do with some attention. Agree with the "unkempt" looking group probably taking hours to get ready, but it's still a great shot for the theme

Gobshot - what a great pic, and the lion would have worked amazingly too! Looks like a fantastic place to see & learn about all of the conservation they do, and must have been lovely to see the cubs all grown up!

It really was. Mainly because of what tends to happen to 'cute' cubs in other places. We were not allowed to touch or handle the lions. There's a good chance if you've ever done this then those poor cubs will be packed off to Caged Hunting places once they're no longer cute.

Tenikwa always knew there was no chance of releasing these two to the wild, and wanted to make it absolutely clear they were not going to canned hunting.

Instead they told us that while they’re a rehab place, the two lions wouldn’t have the skills to make it in the wild and they would spend the rest of their lives here, and would be used for education. They would not be going to somewhere for caged hunting.

I did have the names of the two lions written down somewhere (Partly because we took my daughter out of school - and promised that she'd do a project while she was away). Unfortunately, I can't remember their names now, the white male's name meant something like 'the big one*' and the the lioness' name was 'the talkative one'. They were both aptly named.

*They knew he was going to be big as his father was. Over 500 pounds from memory.

Last edited:
Unkempt: Another one for the bridge shot but then I do like a mono image. Liking the chosen image too.. nice to see that there are still some punks left in Camden.
Gob shot: Very impressive.

Oh that works so well Kell - thank you :)

Back