Kestrel (Image added)

Edit My Images
Yes
Kestrel on the hunt for lunch

After hovering for a while, it took a rest in a tree ... you can see it raising it's left leg, it balanced on one leg for a while before flying off, still in search of lunch.

Raising undercarriage

Last edited:
Nicely caught, perfect sky as well. Not the 500mm I take it :shrug:

Nicely caught, perfect sky as well. Not the 500mm I take it :shrug:

Yes with a 1.4TC ;) it was at a fair distance, more so the in flight one

Managed to get closer today but it swung around me, unfortunately between me and the sun ... so I can do a nice line in Kestrel silhouettes if you are interested :D

Cheers ... I was more impressed with the blue sky for a change :D

And me from about 11 onwards the sun broke through, the only problem being is that it was in the wrong place most of the time :)

Nice photos BTW were you in a hide or driving about ?

Very nice shots. Are you sure it's balancing on one leg? It looks a lot to me like its left leg is grippinga small stub of a branch that's facing upwards. I can't quite make it out, but you've got the full res version, I'm sure if you blow it up you'll see what I'm talking about.

I love kestrels. Lovely shots. :clap:

just wow mate. Been casing kestrels since Christmas but the only time i got a shot half as good as yours I had the wrong contrast and came dark :(

And me from about 11 onwards the sun broke through, the only problem being is that it was in the wrong place most of the time :)

Nice photos BTW were you in a hide or driving about ?

I was stood in the lane at the far end of Belvide, out in the open.

Very nice shots. Are you sure it's balancing on one leg? It looks a lot to me like its left leg is grippinga small stub of a branch that's facing upwards. I can't quite make it out, but you've got the full res version, I'm sure if you blow it up you'll see what I'm talking about.

I love kestrels. Lovely shots. :clap:

Thanks, the next shot I took shows it's foot totally retracted, birds sometimes do this when perching.

just wow mate. Been casing kestrels since Christmas but the only time i got a shot half as good as yours I had the wrong contrast and came dark :(

I have a lovely back lit one from today ... so I know where you are coming from .... especially as if I had stayed put, rather than walk up the lane I would have had the perfect close shot ... keep at it, it will happen (y)

This one from Sunday, having walked 100yds up the lane to try and get a view of the bird, it promptly appears flies back past me towards the sun and promptly starts hunting .... I should have known better :bonk: in fact I do know better :bonk:

Problem was one of the birders was with me, had I been on my own I would have waited it out ... never mind :D

Just a quicky edit to rescue some shadow ... and share my pain :D

Had I been the other side of the bird this would have been a stunner, the light was perfect that side

its not so bad this side. some great shots, Im fedup of trying to catch one at my dads farm, Im too noisy for it spots me every time:bang:

still a beautiful shot though

Cheers Andy ... I suppose one bonus no twig to spoil it :D

its not so bad this side. some great shots, Im fedup of trying to catch one at my dads farm, Im too noisy for it spots me every time:bang:

Carol, once you spot one hunting move towards it then stand still and hope it works it's way towards you. Provided you are stood still they will carry on hunting, I have had them hover right above me. (y)

Liking the 2nd one, looks like it's about to dance. Might be worth using a magic lasso on the 3rd one and brightening just the bird, as it might avoid the halo effect. Looks like it's worth the effort.

Cheers Pete ... the halo is down to my haste, I will spend some more time on it this evening, and take a bit more care :D

I was a bit miffed that I had walked through the bird, and put me in the wrong position light wise, I know better ;)

Slightly different image without the halo

174_034.jpg

Back