Kestrel

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Shot a Kestrel 1st shot approximately 45 yards just observed him land as I was talking to another photographer. Conversation abruptly ended and I attempt to stalk the Kestel got within 30 yards and noticed he had gone to ground. I then observed him half way into a tree root foraging about. I stayed low and managed a couple of shots through some foliage so second picture looks a little O.O.F. on edges. After the Kestrel had flown away I had a look under the root and a dead mouse was their untouched. Can anyone state that this is a normal occurrence for a Kestrel to store food this way? I did make a quick exit.
However happy with the outcome again freezing nads and dirty clothing :crying: :crying:
The wife has stated I should know better at my age. :nuts:
Paul.

kes1tp.jpg

kes2tp.jpg

C & C.

Well caught mate (y) I know they store food but i can't say more than that
Regards
Richard

my guess is its a 100-400mm lens with a uv or polariser filter on.

Nice shots

Bang on the money my friend. If it’s a busy BG I have issues however quite rare. It comes more prominent with heavy crops. If I am in a static safe location then I have began to take the filter off. I am not sure if other
Canon 100 x 400 users have had any issues similar.

Regards
Paul.:)

When first got my 100-400 I used a UV and found the same bokeh, so off I trotted back to buy a more expensive filter, only to find the same effect but with a lighter wallet! gave up on using a filter altogether with it, I now just keep the hood on all the time and avoid dusty situations, Ive not seen the same results again.
I have all ways wondered if a prtector filter might be ok.

I don't get this problem with my Sigma and that has a UV permanently attached. What quality is the filter, mine was £65 a couple of years ago.

Interesting pictures and text under difficult conditions, as said, the background is distracting. I too have stopped using any protective filters on any lens but always use the lens hood for protection as well as for its original purpose.
I think there is justification to use filters to protect the front element under particular conditions, ie salt water, blown sand, industrial environments etc, other than that I dont use one. Keep them coming Paul (y)

I don't get this problem with my Sigma and that has a UV permanently attached. What quality is the filter, mine was £65 a couple of years ago.

I am looking forward to viewing some of your high quality shots Ken, with anticipation. (y)

Regards

Paul..

Well caught mate (y) I know they store food but i can't say more than that
Regards
Richard

googled the above:

The common kestrel has very good eyesight, and will usually hover between 30 and 60 feet above the ground. They eat frogs, small birds, voles, earthworms and large insects. They require the equivalent of 4 to 8 voles per day depending on how much energy the expend, and have been known to catch several meals in a row and store them for later consumption

Read more: http://www.itsnature.org/air/birds-air/kestrel/#ixzz1AS6RosFw

regards
Steve

Couple of good shots (y)
Really good shot "through the undergrowth" well done getting that close.

Nice shots of the birds but the background is off putting,

Take the filter off and just keep the hood on, thats what I do with mine, after reading alot of threads on here with the problems your are getting.

spike

Like Ken, I also have a Sigma 150-500 lens with a UV filter permantly attached. I don't have a problem with the Background, but I have had comments about being a tad soft, but that's more likely to be me. I have a HOVA UV(0) filter.
I have some shots on this thread taken from about 25/30 mtrs
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=257381

Last edited:
googled the above:

The common kestrel has very good eyesight, and will usually hover between 30 and 60 feet above the ground. They eat frogs, small birds, voles, earthworms and large insects. They require the equivalent of 4 to 8 voles per day depending on how much energy the expend, and have been known to catch several meals in a row and store them for later consumption

Read more: http://www.itsnature.org/air/birds-air/kestrel/#ixzz1AS6RosFw

regards
Steve

Thanks for the information Steve all noted.
Refards
Paul.

Nice shots of the birds but the background is off putting,

Take the filter off and just keep the hood on, thats what I do with mine, after reading alot of threads on here with the problems your are getting.

spike

Now offfff.
Regards
Paul.

Back