Wild Kestrels

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
Some close encounters with kestrels this weekend ... Really pleased with these shots. Definitely got to grips with this 800mm now, good handholding technique is vital
15852326043_9753b09964.jpg

16470598491_e39a6156b9_z.jpg

G

Last edited:
Those are both lovely shots! Great compositions and colour.

I bet a 800mm lens is a heavyweight! Canon?

#2 for me, just feels less cramped in the frame ... however great to get the shots :)

Great shots! Bet anyone passing thinks you're crazy hand holding such a big object into the sky at eye level!

I can't even imagine hand-holding an 800mm if my 300-800 is anything to go by!

Good detail and very nice light. I might have cloned the odd sticks on the second shot

Stan

It's a heavy lens, granted but I'm now comfortable with it.
I wanted to keep #1 as a 8x12, it is a little close, but I think the composition works still. I have room to crop with more room, so might try a 8x10, but i didn't like my first attempt at that crop.
#2 I did debate cloning out the other twigs but i feel it gives it a very natural feel by leaving them in else there would just be a lot of empty space.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback, totally blown away by all the messages :)

#2 I did debate cloning out the other twigs but i feel it gives it a very natural feel by leaving them in else there would just be a lot of empty space.

....I agree and IF I cloned out any it would only be the two which are well out of focus. I think that true-life environment is often an important part of a wildlife picture.

I'll go with No2 also, that looks a very precarious perch, two good shots.

Cheers guys, seems number 2 is the preferred shot! There were a pair there, but one flew, it would have been something special to get a pair perched together, maybe another time!!

My head tells me number 2 but I'm drawn to number 1 with that light and expression.

Back