Kids Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Brian Ardrey
Edit My Images
Yes
I snatched this photo today. Not looking for too much crit because I only had a few seconds to get the shot and although I can see a few probs with it (the contrast was huge) I'm generally reasonably happy with it.

Kids-Fishing.jpg

Your lucky my man, very lucky that their dads wasn't there..

But i can see your looking for honest crit so i won't bare that on you too much

Are you one of those super PC people then? You infuriate me people like you do. It's because of people like you that the world is in such a state. You need to seriously rethink your attitude and sort youseld out old boy.

You'll be pleased to know that I managed not to atteck them and I'm sure they will have made it home safe and sound.

Lovely shot...but I would love to see it in monochrome too as I think that will add extra charm.

Badger, I'm not sure what Techno Geek is putting across, but in this day and age photographers are pretty much at risk of having words Paedophile branded onto them. I would find photographing kids so risky that personally i wouldn't bother.

Admittedly, even I, as a female, am too wary now to photograph children, though I will be doing so again with parents permission. That is how I got my old A Level shots. I went to the parents and asked if they were happy with it.

Your response to Techno was a little harsh... It's nothing to do with being "super PC", it's common sense. Some folk dont like their kids being photographed by strangers, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's courtesy to ask anyone you're snapping if they mind, and more important to ask parents before snapping their kids. Just because you can't see the parents nearby, doesn't mean they are not watching you through a shop window. Chill out, and avoid the hassel it could have caused.

Are you one of those super PC people then? You infuriate me people like you do. It's because of people like you that the world is in such a state. You need to seriously rethink your attitude and sort youseld out old boy.

Geez, And you seriously cannot see why i brought it up? fine then, i am just stating the things that could of happend. Like you would have got chased down and you gear smashed to bits or even worst. Damn, that is why i stopped looking out for people.....

No i am not one of them super PC people, i just know what i would do if i was to see someone taking photos of my children. my attitude? no mate, i just see the things that could happen by anything i do. I wouldn't put myself in that position that you did, because i wouldn't want to get beat up. How did you know that there dad's plus 10 of their mates wasn't there?? You could have been smacked one mate, that is all i am saying

You'll be pleased to know that I managed not to atteck them and I'm sure they will have made it home safe and sound.

??

The way i see it

If i kid/child walks into the view of my viewfinder i just simply let the camera hang around my neck and make sure the parents see me do it. They normal wave and say hello around and thanks and all that, but how do you know that someone, to be blunt. Won't hit you for it? seriously dude.

Last edited:
It's a sad world when people can't take photos of children isn't it? I know there are some sad perverted people in the world, but I'm sure there are more normal people who just think that kids are cute. On the plus side of taking photos of kids, if a child were to go missing and the parents wanted info on what had happened to them, just think how useful it would be if someone actually had photos of there whereabouts. It could certainly have been very useful when the child went missing in Portugal.

I wouldn't have taken this pic, and I don't think it should be posted on the net unless you have permission from the parents. I'm sorry to say that's the way the world works today - I don't like it any more than you, but that's my advice.

I wouldn't have taken this pic, and I don't think it should be posted on the net unless you have permission from the parents.

Bager's not broken any laws - it's a free country. No info has been posted on the kids' identity, or where or when the pic was taken. I don't see how this was irresponsible or compromises their safety in any way.

Do an image search on Google for "girls" - nearly 66 million hits ;)

And might this have something to do with some posters' reactions?

A.

Last edited:
Bager's not broken any laws - it's a free country. No info has been posted on the kids' identity, or where or when the pic was taken. I don't see how this was irresponsible or compromises their safety in any way.

Do an image search on Google for "girls" - nearly 66 million hits ;)

And might this have something to do with some posters' reactions?

A.

LOL you live up to your name Anorak! That article is absoloute twaddle, and I've never heard of the 'syndrome' anyway.

If somebody took a picture of my kids and posted it on the net without my permission, I'd be threatening legal action. It's not the same as 'street' photography and doesn't look like a very public place - so it comes across as voyeurism.

I think if you have kids you ought to consider how you would feel if they appeared on a website without you knowing how or when the pic was taken.

No info has been posted on the kids' identity

Can't you see the big picture with them in it then?. Think about it mate

And i wasn't thinking about that anyway, i was thinking about more of your safety...

You try and help someone and get it chucked back in your face..........

Last edited:
It compromises their safety because - no matter how miniscule the chances are - some pervert might see the picture, recognise the place and the girls, and use it as an excuse to start a conversation. We don't know where this place is or who is on this forum, and I can't see there's any artistic merit in the picture that warrants public display. With all the publicity surrounding the subject, I can't understand how anybody would risk their own reputation this way. Ten years ago I'd have thought nothing of it, and would happily do it myself. But things are different now. I think theres a distinction between taking pictures in the street where there are lots of people and lots of cameras, and 'spying' on people in more secluded areas.

Sorry, if I saw some guy poking a big lens in my sons face, I would have words. I know that goes against the grain of this place, but I would never dream of taking a pic of someone elses kid through fear of what could happen to me and my gear.

I really would have some fairly strong words if my kid was being snapped openly.

Its this type PC crap that means i have no photos of my boys first school nativity play, His first sports day at school etc etc because photography is Banned at school. Its this type of reaction that makes me feel self conscious and uneasy when taking pictures of him on his surf board or at the beach. People sometimes jump on the band wagon far to quickly. But saying that it would have been polite to seek permission before taking the picture and if you don't feel comfortable asking for permission don't take the photo.

Its this type PC crap that means i have no photos of my boys first school nativity play, His first sports day at school etc etc because photography is Banned at school. Its this type of reaction that makes me feel self conscious and uneasy when taking pictures of him on his surf board or at the beach. People sometimes jump on the band wagon far to quickly. But saying that it would have been polite to seek permission before taking the picture and if you don't feel comfortable asking for permission don't take the photo.

It is PC crap, you are correct, and I don't like it! But the simple fact is, pervs do exist, and in more places than people appreciate. My best friend is a social worker, and I have other friends "in the know". A street I used to live in, with my son, had 14 of them, no joke. No one knew who they were, and what houses they lived in, but the systems my friends were able to access could show number per street.

EDI is full of them, some places have hotspots - selected strategically to ensure easy watching for the police.

Do not think this world is as safe as some would make you believe, I was brought up in a vile neighbourhood and one of my best mates hung by the neck in a dark flat for 3 weeks before he was found - poor guy was 18 and could not get over what had happened to him as a youngun.

Gary.

It is PC crap, you are correct, and I don't like it! But the simple fact is, pervs do exist, and in more places than people appreciate. My best friend is a social worker, and I have other friends "in the know". A street I used to live in, with my son, had 14 of them, no joke. No one knew who they were, and what houses they lived in, but the systems my friends were able to access could show number per street.

EDI is full of them, some places have hotspots - selected strategically to ensure easy watching for the police.

Do not think this world is as safe as some would make you believe, I was brought up in a vile neighbourhood and one of my best mates hung by the neck in a dark flat for 3 weeks before he was found - poor guy was 18 and could not get over what had happened to him as a youngun.

Gary.

Gary i agree but as always it the law abiding majority that suffer for the actions of a minority. The 14 where you used to live should not have been there pure and simple, on conviction they should be locked up until they die. This country is far to soft on crime & punishment. I did also say 'But saying that it would have been polite to seek permission before taking the picture and if you don't feel comfortable asking for permission don't take the photo.'

Gary i agree but as always it the law abiding majority that suffer for the actions of a minority. The 14 where you used to live should not have been there pure and simple, on conviction they should be locked up until they die. This country is far to soft on crime & punishment. I did also say 'But saying that it would have been polite to seek permission before taking the picture and if you don't feel comfortable asking for permission don't take the photo.'

Sorry man, wasnt meaning to have a go :D I agree with your sentiment, this country is too soft on ALL CRIME, but until that changes, we need to be vigilant.

Sucks to be in the UK at times.

Gary.

i think its a real shame that such a debate has been sparked over a completly benign photo. Its a very important debate, and I have an obvious interest in it, but this isn't a dodgy website where people come to get off on sick images.

Ideally I do think parents permission to post on the net is a good idea, but I'm also realistic enough to know that parents aren't always around.

Anyway, to the point, I love this photo :clap:

LOL you live up to your name Anorak!

Why, thank you.

That article is absoloute twaddle, and I've never heard of the 'syndrome' anyway.

Two words: Madeleine McCann.

If somebody took a picture of my kids and posted it on the net without my permission, I'd be threatening legal action. It's not the same as 'street' photography and doesn't look like a very public place - so it comes across as voyeurism.

Didn't J K Rowling have the same idea recently? Sue away, but it still isn't against the law.

I think if you have kids you ought to consider how you would feel if they appeared on a website without you knowing how or when the pic was taken.

Given that it's not against the law to take pictures of people, I couldn't and wouldn't complain.

A.

As a parent I wouldn't like someone taking pics of my kids without my permission and certainly wouldn't appreciate those pics being posted on the net. Working with social workers and community workers in my job has made me more aware of the issues and problems in our society and so I'm always on my guard. I think it's sad that we live in a world where parents are scared to let their children play in the street or pop to the local shop for fear of something awful happening to them. Nevertheless it's a reality we have to live with and although the picture posted is an innocent and lovely photograph of kids playing when taking photographs we need to be mindful as Tony said, of the fears and thoughts parents might have seeing someone taking pics without their permission.

I as a parent would have something to say if I saw someone taking photos of my Children without permission, and also have issues if I saw a photo of my kids on the internet without permission. This is more the fear of the unknown though, and would cause thoughts of "Why is that person photographing my kids?"

If on the otherhand the person asked before the shot was taken, or afterwards then I dont think I would mind.

I have been on a day out with people from this website who took photos of one of my sons, and all of them that took photos of him asked if I was ok with them posting. To which I replied I was more than happy, and thanked them for asking my permission. The reasoning behind this is I understood their intentions.

Last edited:
Right .... back to the original image ....

I personally like it. As mentioned i would like to see it in B & W as I think that would work well on it.

The real shame about our world today is that such an innocent photo of such innocent children has provoked such emotional issues! That said, I take on board everyone's comments and opinions .... it is a very grey area and I can imagine how the parents of the girls MAY have reacted. The funny thing is, no one has commented yet that the parents (dad?) may have approached Badger and said what a wonderful image of my daughter and her friends ... any chance of a print?

What a strange world we live in!

Must get back to it ....

Anth.

Sadly, I'm closing this thread. I see a nice innocent picture of kids at play, but yet again it's been taken of topic by irrelevant issues.

Badger has broken no law by taking these pictures- if you can't comment on the pictures for what they are, then don't comment.

Sorry Badger. :shrug:

im going to chime in here.

This is a photography forum, it says so above the door when you come in, the OP has posted a shot for critique, not comment on the laws of the land, or start a moral debate. There is a thread somewhere else on that sort of thing.

Critique pictures only photo sharing.

Edit: Ct said it in less words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back