Kielder Water

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
My first attampt at such things today with testing my sigma 10-20

not to bad for a first go in my eyes, what you all think?

DSC_7439.jpg

DSC_7446.jpg

DSC_7484.jpg

and a couple of panoramic pics, also a first attemp

this one was taken with 6 pics

Pano+2.jpg

and this one with 4

Pano+3.jpg

the rest can be found here

http://www.imagesbysw.com/gallery/v/Landscapes/

what do you think?

The clouds in the first are extremely blown out which detracts from the photo.
And the horizon in the second is w-e-l-l sloping. (water is always on a level) ;)

Third is my favourite.. the way the clouds sweep upwards and outward (y)

The clouds in the first are extremely blown out which detracts from the photo.
And the horizon in the second is w-e-l-l sloping. (water is always on a level) ;)

Third is my favourite.. the way the clouds sweep upwards and outward (y)

:agree: 100%!

\you seem to still be having trouble with your exposure ie, the blown out clouds again.

Have you tried using a grad ND filter to hold back the light from the sky but without darkening the foreground?

nope, first go as i said with a sigma 10-20

and first go with land scapes in all honesty, as you will tell from my site i am more into Motorsports

I quite like the second one with the off kilter angle. I know it breaks the 'rules' but it kinda works for me for some reason. Clouds are a bit blown though agreed.

Did you shoot in raw? You might be able to get some details back.

Filters - either look at getting an ND grad filter, or a circular polarizer (hoya ones are good) can do the job sometimes, or just shoot in raw, make sure you expose for the clouds/sky and then bring back out the foreground in photoshop - Lots of guides around for doing this technique...

i do shoot in raw yeah. never tried the technique described

i liked the second one also. i was looking at more of the close ground in it but with the lens being so wide i took no notice of the water level

Hi,

A good start you've made - as mentioned the blown sky does spoil things a little.. ND grads are useful but for now just concentrate on getting the exposure for the sky, you may find the foreground a little dark but when shooting RAW is often possible to recover this.

Have you tried using the "exposure bracketing" feature on your camera too, comes in handy in such situations - try it at +/- 1 stop to start with

Main thing is to keep trying, practice makes perfect as they say !!

simon

Back